Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonflyBSD 2.10 Improves Hardware Support

Phoronix: DragonflyBSD 2.10 Improves Hardware Support

While there's many Linux users looking forward towards the release of Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" tomorrow, having been released yesterday to the BSD world is DragonflyBSD 2.10.1.. This update to the DragonflyBSD operating system contains greater hardware support, including for multi-processor systems, among other enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GCC 4.4? Interesting.
    OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and Apple are avoiding GPLv3 code like it's the plague or worse (not sure of NetBSD's position), but these guys seem less focused on that particular battle (I'd say that foolishness, but that would seem biased...).

Comment

GPLv2 FTW

I think the Linux kernel itself has not upgraded to GPLv3 either, so I dont blame more business friendly BSD licenced projects etc to avoid even the software that enables it. More than anything it shows the shortfalls of GPLv3, making it more of a thing for hippies who want to live in an ideal world..

Comment

Originally posted by conorsulli View Post
        I think the Linux kernel itself has not upgraded to GPLv3 either, so I dont blame more business friendly BSD licenced projects etc to avoid even the software that enables it. More than anything it shows the shortfalls of GPLv3, making it more of a thing for hippies who want to live in an ideal world..
        Bullshit. The bsd is for hippies who thinks they're living in an ideal world - some consider companies will give their code back, or not use against them in competition etc. The bsd license may be more bussiness friendly in some cases when comes to use of libraries or really unimportant applications. The GPLv3 is used in many projects, but why the hell Linus would care about switching from GPLv2 which does the job? Relicensing entire kernel wouldn't be so nice. There are also things like tivoization which sometimes is good to Linux.

Comment

How does BSD's performance compare to Linux? Does it support Atheros wireless, multitouch trackpads, analog soundcards, Gallium KMS and semi-realtime audio?

I'm in for diving into a bit less fragmented environment (just to check it out for the koolz0rs). I'm using KDE and Qt software only for what is important to me.

Comment

PS: Oh and OpenJDK with OpenGL bindings for OpenGL 2.0 and GLSL version dunno.

Comment

?

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              The bsd is for hippies who thinks they're living in an ideal world - some consider companies will give their code back, or not use against them in competition etc.
              I cant really make head nor tail of your English here dude? I was just stating that there are obvious problems with v3 where an individual/company would have happily used v2 but are wary of v3.. not in every case but it certainly exists.

Comment

I cant really make head nor tail of your English here dude? I was just stating that there are obvious problems with v3 where an individual/company would have happily used v2 but are wary of v3.. not in every case but it certainly exists.
                The thing is, that's not a problem. It was the intended result, and anyone who licenses their code knows that.

If you want to make sure that the Apple's of the world can use your code, then the BSD license makes perfect sense. But some people don't want that to happen - or at least not unless Apple abides by certain restrictions that they obviously aren't willing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                  I'm in for diving into a bit less fragmented environment (just to check it out for the koolz0rs).
                  That's by far my favorite aspect of using a BSD, if it's construed to include the fact that the documentation is actually well-organized and reasonably comprehensive (especially compare device driver documentation; BSD wins by miles). My least favorite aspect is the amount of stuff out there that works on Linux but not BSD. Have you ever run into a proprietary package that "supports Linux" solely in the form of an RPM for an old RHEL release? It's a similar feeling.

Comment

This
                    More than anything it shows the shortfalls of GPLv3, making it more of a thing for hippies who want to live in an ideal world..
                    isn't true at all in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X