Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What To Expect Of Unity 2D In Ubuntu 11.10

Phoronix: What To Expect Of Unity 2D In Ubuntu 11.10

This morning at the Ubuntu Developer Summit there was a discussion about Unity 2D, the lightweight 2D version of Canonical's Unity desktop that isn't dependent upon 3D (OpenGL) acceleration. Work on Unity 2D based on Qt began during the Ubuntu 11.04 cycle, but with Ubuntu 11.10 it should be more polished and comparable to the full-blown Unity desktop experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still not clear on why they didn't just design the compiz plugin to not depend upon the compositing plugin. If compiz 0.9x's composite-less fallback is half-baked, remedying that still seems like a better solution than maintaining two disparate codebases, on two totally different backends.

Comment

History of Compiz

You mean something like this? http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=Njk1Ng
      I really have no idea how Compiz++ is doing, but i don't think it's fairing all that well. And i don't think Canonical would want to support a branch that does away with multiple monitors. They could also support compiz for unity 3d and compiz++ for 2d but that would also be supporting 2 trunks. Not to mention the irony of having the newer language be the base of the fallback sistem.

Comment

Compiz++ is Compiz. The 0.9 branch, which is what is being used for Unity proper, is the result of a rewrite of Compiz in C++, with a new API and with a bunch of the enhancements from the original Compiz++ and Nomad branches.

Comment

Oh man, that shows the kind of attention i payed to coposite window managers. Ever since Beryl i kinda lost interest in composting and have not regularily used it until Natty Narwhal, except for some basic copositing of Metacity, which I enabled using gconf.

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
            I'm still not clear on why they didn't just design the compiz plugin to not depend upon the compositing plugin. If compiz 0.9x's composite-less fallback is half-baked, remedying that still seems like a better solution than maintaining two disparate codebases, on two totally different backends.
            Limited time and resources. They are fixing that for the next version.

Comment

Wait, so they're getting rid of the classic GNOME desktop? I might finally have to switch distributions, after using Ubuntu since Edgy Eft...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Limited time and resources. They are fixing that for the next version.
                Is it genuinely that counter-intuitive, or are you just trolling again?

Comment

Working...
                X