Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New VirtualBox Beta Has PCI Pass-Through Support

Phoronix: New VirtualBox Beta Has PCI Pass-Through Support

Just a week after Oracle released VirtualBox 4.1 Beta 1, the second beta for this forthcoming feature release of the former Sun virtualization stack is now available. The VirtualBox 4.1 Beta 2 release has various bug-fixes since the first beta, but for Linux hosts it also introduces PCI pass-through support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are you talking about the open source version or the proprietary one?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Are you talking about the open source version or the proprietary one?
      There is no proprietary VirtualBox anymore. There are now proprietary extensions instead, and from reading the announcement, I don't think this is one of those.

Comment

Does virtualbox support usb passthrough without any proprietary extension?
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

No. As I recall, that feature requires the proprietary extension package and license click-thru (free to normal users).

Comment

I don't have the extensions installed, and it looks like I can enable USB support - but NOT USB2.0. Checking that box results in an alert saying I need to install the extensions. USB1.0 support isn't very useful though...

Comment

Originally posted by strcat View Post
              I don't have the extensions installed, and it looks like I can enable USB support - but NOT USB2.0. Checking that box results in an alert saying I need to install the extensions. USB1.0 support isn't very useful though...
              It'll work but it'll be slow. Have you tested it with anything like USB sticks?

If you want USB 2.0 support you'd need that extension package

Comment

for usb2 or pci path-through the extpack is needed. then you need to set the vm to emulate ich9, after that i was able to use pciattach (via cmd line) to a nic. mii-tool showed link but i did not get an ip in the (linux) guest. there is nothing mentioned in the manual what to do on the host before. i tried to unload the kernel module on the host but that did not help. did anybody manage to get an ip with a nic that was set up for path-through (dont forget to disable the emulated one)? my test was done with i7-2600 (without k) and q67 board, kernel 3.0 on the host, 2.6.38 guest.

Comment

holy crap so does this mean that we'll have direct access to video cards? if so this could very easily be the end of dual booting. we can virtualize windows in linux and then run stuff like games and photoshop with a minimal performance drop. i am extremely excited if this is true.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    holy crap so does this mean that we'll have direct access to video cards? if so this could very easily be the end of dual booting. we can virtualize windows in linux and then run stuff like games and photoshop with a minimal performance drop. i am extremely excited if this is true.
                    EXACTLY what I was about to ask!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X