Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubisoft Is Playing With Linux & Xen Virtualization

Phoronix: Ubisoft Is Playing With Linux & Xen Virtualization

Ubisoft, the massive video game publishing and development studio, has been busy playing with Linux. In particular, exploring opportunities presented by Xen virtualization with regards to VGA pass-through as a means of decent gaming performance in a virtualized environment. A discussion began in the Phoronix Forums yesterday about Ubisoft's Xen VGA pass-through demo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean that Ubisoft is going to compete against OnLive?

Comment

I know that team, I used to work 3 building away from it. They use a -lot- of OpenSource stuff there. They have python/scons clusters, in house IDE based on SharpDevelop, they use OpenSource gaming engines like Ogre+Lua to prototype new tech, even come to our local Linux meetup from time to time if they need to get info about some "cool new tech" from our world.

French Canada (Montr?al and Qu?bec city) studios tend to be more open to new ideas and technologies than others. It's why many new franchise and created here. But those tech rarely get out of the R&D labs. They are used internally to check viability.

Comment

<head blown>

That is awesome. I wonder how seamless they can make the experience. Would be great if clicking a launcher on the linux desktop just executes a command in your windows VM and starts your game fullscreen and you never see the Windows desktop.
        Last edited by leif81; 12 July 2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

> UBIsoft puts up 2 VMs on Linux showing a demo...
          Aaaand what does that mean for Linux? Linux gaming? I'm just asking.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            > UBIsoft puts up 2 VMs on Linux showing a demo...
            Aaaand what does that mean for Linux? Linux gaming? I'm just asking.
            Nothing at all really. It just shows some Ubisoft experiments. No less, no more.

Unless your one of those guys from the forums who whishes to virtualize win xp on a Linux machine. In that case you can see that even with Xen it still has a massive overhead and isn't a very good experience.

And I still don't get why people would want that. If you care so much about gaming that you would virtualize Windows for it then you might as well just dual boot or buy a console...

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
              Unless your one of those guys from the forums who whishes to virtualize win xp on a Linux machine. In that case you can see that even with Xen it still has a massive overhead and isn't a very good experience.
              How did you estimate the overhead if you don't know how fast it would have run without Xen? That's right, you didn't, you just made up some bullshit.
              And in the video, one can in fact see that it works perfectly well.

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
              And I still don't get why people would want that. If you care so much about gaming that you would virtualize Windows for it then you might as well just dual boot or buy a console...
              That's a really dumb question. I just don't want to reboot every time I want to check my emails while playing something. And I also want to be reachable via VoIP while playing, without having to install a client under Windows, which I use only for games.

Comment

Anyone seen any work on passing through only the nvidia card in a optimus setup? That'd be rrrreally cool.

Don't know if it's technically feasable though, considering both cards have 1 output.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  That's a really dumb question. I just don't want to reboot every time I want to check my emails while playing something. And I also want to be reachable via VoIP while playing, without having to install a client under Windows, which I use only for games.
                  Well that at least has an easy answer nowadays ? get a smartphone. Looks like the guy had some fun anyway.

Comment

Wow, that's really cool. I'm suddenly really interested in trying Xen.

Comment

Working...
                    X