Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Functionality From The Linux Graphics Drivers

Phoronix: Missing Functionality From The Linux Graphics Drivers

While NVIDIA yesterday released a new Linux driver, it was quick to be pointed out in our forums that NVIDIA Optimus Technology still is not officially supported under Linux. But that's not all that's missing from their proprietary driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What else?

There's still no working support for randr or nvidia's alternative that would let us enable/swith displays without xorg restart - its like lets say we want to attach projector or connect the notebook to lcd/plasma tv and we have to reload xorg and restart whole session for it to work - it still totally sucks - I'd rather want to use original gnome panel for display config...

Comment

according to a little research i did last night, in the Linux driver only the quadro cards have 3d vision support.

other than that i don't think there is anything nvidia has much control over that isnt also supported on the linux driver. i personally don't think the 2d infrastructure is all that good. on windows they have directdraw/2d but with linux we don't have any 2d api that seems accelerated, it is it doesn't really feel like it).

Comment

Somebody mentioned on the nvidia forum that the driver no longer reports GPU load. They took that out a couple of releases ago.

I'm going on the assumption that they're scaling back some of these features to force people to buy their Quadro cards?

Comment

Originally posted by kacperpl1 View Post
          There's still no working support for randr or nvidia's alternative that would let us enable/swith displays without xorg restart - its like lets say we want to attach projector or connect the notebook to lcd/plasma tv and we have to reload xorg and restart whole session for it to work - it still totally sucks - I'd rather want to use original gnome panel for display config...
          Enabling twinview works fine without restarting X. I use disper because it's slightly quicker than using nvidia-settings. I just plug in my projector and run disper -e, and I have an extended desktop with my projector and monitor at native resolution. disper -s sets it back to monitor only. If I could be arsed to set up a keyboard shortcut it would be identical to windows' behaviour.

Comment

I know that twinview works, however i didn't mean the twinview - When I use my notebook at my desk I want to use my external lcd as main display and switch off laptop display and as far as i remember it doesn't work from nvidia panel without restarting xorg.

Comment

Missing control panel settings

I noticed when I went to a conference recently that the Linux drivers lack the ability to set the display offset and overscan settings. It would be really great if they would add these options, as they're pretty important for lining up the display properly for some projectors.

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
                Enabling twinview works fine without restarting X. I use disper because it's slightly quicker than using nvidia-settings. I just plug in my projector and run disper -e, and I have an extended desktop with my projector and monitor at native resolution. disper -s sets it back to monitor only. If I could be arsed to set up a keyboard shortcut it would be identical to windows' behaviour.
                I use the disper-indicator for Ubuntu, which provides a nice and easy graphical way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by kacperpl1 View Post
                  I know that twinview works, however i didn't mean the twinview - When I use my notebook at my desk I want to use my external lcd as main display and switch off laptop display and as far as i remember it doesn't work from nvidia panel without restarting xorg.
                  Haven't got my projector to hand to test, but I'm pretty sure disper does that just fine (-s for primary only and -S for secondary only). That suggests nvidia-settings should be able to do it too.

Comment

- multisampling in 3D does not work
                    - forcing pre-fermi cards to minimal performance level does not work
                    - no accelerated SVG, requires huge pixbuff to provide some average 3D performance in KDE4, desktop is rather not much responsive.
                    - no way to control fans manually
                    [?] having several monitors with different resolution leads to no acceleration
                    [?] requirement to use outdated xinerama instead of xrandr
                    [?] SLI is practically non-existant, in best case the SLI config achieves a little bit more performance than that of single card, completed different from windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X