New 8.42.3 and FireGL, better method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 8.42.3 and FireGL, better method

I just want to tell you that Kano has found a better method for hacking the driver and I hope he doesn't mind if I post it here:
    Install the driver anyway you want. Then extract the package (sh ati-... --extract), go inside fglrx-install.something folder. Download Kano's patch: http://xtruder.homelinux.net/~ambro/...l-8.41.7.patch
    Then do:
    (Change the patch location)
    # patch -p1 < ~/ati.firegl-8.41.7.patch
    # cd common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod
    (Change GCC4 to GCC3 if needed, and x86 to x86_64 if your kernel is 64bit)
    (For some weird reason there is a space in 'build_mod', remove it before you execute the command)
    # ln -s ../../../../../arch/x86/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mo d/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4 libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4
    # cd 2.6.x
    # make

The build should succeed. Then copy the resulting fglrx.ko over the originally installed one somewhere in /lib/modules. Also copy a 'control' file from some older driver supporting your card over the original one (probably /etc/ati/control) (just get it here http://xtruder.homelinux.net/~ambro/control).
    Afterwards you should make sure NOT to set any ChipID in your xorg.conf.
    You shouldn't see any watermark now.
    Last edited by ambro814; 26 October 2007, 11:02 AM.

Hey.. the link to your patch is broken

Comment

Originally posted by mintcoffee View Post
      Hey.. the link to your patch is broken
      it is fixed now

Comment

Thanks!! =)

Comment

I tried your solution but I cannot complete the steps. Here is the error I got:

toto@cursa:~/downloads/ati/fglrx-install.k19206/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x$ make
          make -C /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/toto/downloads/ati/fglrx-install.k19206/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
          make[1]: entrant dans le r?pertoire ? /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic ?
          Building modules, stage 2.
          MODPOST 1 modules
          WARNING: could not find /home/toto/downloads/ati/fglrx-install.k19206/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/.libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4.cmd for /home/toto/downloads/ati/fglrx-install.k19206/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4
          make[1]: quittant le r?pertoire ? /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic ?
          Any idea of what is wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by GuiPoM View Post
            Any idea of what is wrong ?
            I don't know exactly, maybe you got that symlink wrong, try extracting from scratch and copy the file instead of linking it:
            Code:
            cp arch/x86/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4 common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod
            If you use the installer/packager to install the driver, you may as well apply the patch and just run the installer:
            ./ati-installer.sh 8.42.3 --install/--buildpkg

Comment

I tried again, I still get this error BUT fglrx.ko is correctly built.

Then after finishing installation I get ati 8.42 working on Firegl V3100 !

So thanks for your help, I first thought I had to wait for 8.43 next month ... now I can try this one today. This is great !

Comment

I used this method to create my fglrx.ko module, but direct rendering doesn't seem to work (it defaults to MESA). If I used your previous method of directly hacking the PCI IDs, direct rendering works. Any clues as to why? This is with a FireGL V5200.

Comment

Originally posted by mintcoffee View Post
                  I used this method to create my fglrx.ko module, but direct rendering doesn't seem to work (it defaults to MESA). If I used your previous method of directly hacking the PCI IDs, direct rendering works. Any clues as to why? This is with a FireGL V5200.
                  I don't know exactly what is wrong, but I think is has more to do with the 8.42.3 driver rather than my patch. Does 8.42.3 with the previous patch work? First check if fglrx.ko is loaded and if you have /dev/dri/card0. Then check what /var/log/Xorg.0.log says. It should say something like "DRIScreenInit done". If it says so there's probably something with the libs, but as far as I know, even the mesa opengl lib will work fine. Also have you copied 'control' and removed ChipID from xorg.conf ?
                  Last edited by ambro814; 29 October 2007, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ambro814 View Post
                    I don't know exactly what is wrong, but I think is has more to do with the 8.42.3 driver rather than my patch. Does 8.42.3 with the previous patch work? First check if fglrx.ko is loaded and if you have /dev/dri/card0. Then check what /var/log/Xorg.0.log says. It should say something like "DRIScreenInit done". If it says so there's probably something with the libs, but as far as I know, even the mesa opengl lib will work fine. Also have you copied 'control' and removed ChipID from xorg.conf ?
                    Thanks for your help! I was being stupid and realized that I copied fglrx.ko into the wrong location. However, on the bright side, without DRI, I can resume and suspend perfectly fine with 8.42.3

Comment

Working...
                    X