Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Is The "Precise Pangolin"

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Is The "Precise Pangolin"

Mark Shuttleworth has just revealed that the codename for the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Linux release is the "Precise Pangolin", which will succeed the soon-to-be-released Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly, code names are very funny and all, but when you have to start thinking if a machine has precise, or natty, or oneiric, ...

The problem is that people then refer to the releases with the codenames, and since they are stupid and not easy to remember, half the times you don't remember which one you have... or am I the only one who doesn't like this?

Comment

I don't like it too, but fortunately I don't use ubuntu.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I find the silly code names make the release names a lot easier to remember.
        I also like it that sometimes it makes me aware of animals I didn't know existed or expands my vocabulary.
        I usually picture the animal -- I like Pangolins a lot so that is going to be an easy one for me.

Otherwise you can just remember the year and the month it was released.

Comment

Did he really write "pangolin?s regularly survive encounters with lions"?

Comment

Code names, silly or not, are a good way to separate different result from a search engine. The probability of someone randomly writing a code word is far less than the probability of someone writing for example 11.10.

Comment

I find it a lot easier to remember codenames than release numbers, too. For me, numbers just don't mean anything, while codenames have a very easy to picture meaning.

Pangolin... Interesting. I didn't know their name in English, although I did know them in my native language.

Comment

Let's hope it doesn't turn into...

Let's hope the quality is good enough we don't have to start calling it "Putrid Penguin"! If Kubuntu is of a decent quality, I may come back to using Ubuntu, I really miss the full repos and easy to add PPAs, but it was just too unstable and the front-end UI war was ruining it for me.

In the meanwhile, go Chakra go!

PS.: Precise is not the official name, that would be "Ubuntu 12.04", Precise (Lucid, Natty, etc) is the codename during development, like GStreamer 0.10.13 was called "With or without you", Sun's JDK 1.5 was called Merlin, etc

Comment

Is System76 going to rename their Pangolin model?

Comment

Ugh, I hate this. It would be okay if they just used it as kind of an informal thing like Fedora does, but the fact that the repos are named after the codename is pretty inconvenient.

Fedora and Ubuntu both pride themselves on off-the-wall codenames, but Fedora's technical guts never refers to the release by the codename, always by the release number (which is more concise and precise than a name, especially since Ubuntu's releases always have two names, doubling the confusion -- wait, was that repo named oneiric or ocelot?).

Oh well, I'm glad I switched away from Ubuntu. I still have to run it in VMs for testing and to provide binaries of software I maintain, but never again will I run it on a production machine I intend to use to get things done. I've been Ubuntu-free for nearly 2 years. Embarrassingly, I still have the Ubuntu sticker on the back of my laptop lid, even though I'm currently running Scientific Linux 6.

Comment

Working...
                    X