Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu On TVs Gets Discussed

Phoronix: Ubuntu On TVs Gets Discussed

Mark Shuttleworth has pointed out that Ubuntu for TVs is being "hotly discussed" right now by developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If there was an OS concept for toasters, Mark would announce Canonical is working on a Ubuntu version for toasters too (called Tubuntu).

Comment

Hmm, it tasty bread-based snacks it seems that BSD is years ahead :

from ~2006

Comment

It's not quite as crazy as it sounds, most, if not all, LG TVs made in the last few years run on Linux. I didn't actually know that about mine until I flicked through the manual and noticed the GPL in the appendix. It is a far cry from Ubuntu though. I'm not confident that Ubuntu would be stable enough for a start.

Comment

If the TV had to be smart, I'd prefer Ubuntu over Android, for similar reasons as on the phone. You'll tear my dumb TV and phone from my cold dead hands though

Comment

A smart tv is a tv with a computer in it. Realize that, ha!

The things that are mentioned are also very welcome on non-tv devices.
            What about media center pc's.
            HTPC's.
            And I want to use my tv-card with remote control with any computer I want.
            Which is technically also possible to do, thus it would be neat if that would be done.

Among the essential items is support for control via a remote control, cloud/remote storage, playback of physical media,
            Ubuntu One account integration, push support from other devices, and support for controlling from portable devices.
            I want these features on any pc, duh.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
              A smart tv is a tv with a computer in it. Realize that, ha!

The things that are mentioned are also very welcome on non-tv devices.
              What about media center pc's.
              HTPC's.
              And I want to use my tv-card with remote control with any computer I want.
              Which is technically also possible to do, thus it would be neat if that would be done.

I want these features on any pc, duh.
              Mythbuntu... My wife and I use it almost every night. This could probably be slimmed down and polished for TVs.... Although the idea of a TV running a database server is a little odd

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                If there was an OS concept for toasters, Mark would announce Canonical is working on a Ubuntu version for toasters too (called Tubuntu).
                2005 called, they want their BSD toaster back http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/0...netbsd-toaster

Comment

Working...
                X