Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Up The R600 Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: Cleaning Up The R600 Gallium3D Driver

Marek Ol??k, the well-known independent contributor to Mesa that's made a great deal of enhancements to the Radeon driver stack over the past few years, has a new patch-set. The latest patch-set he published last night cleans up the R600g driver and reworks its cache flushing code. This patch-set affects more than 2,000 lines of code, which is significant for this open-source Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It could be nice if we could test if there is some performance gains with this flushes refactorings.
    Michel, didn't you said there is some daily performance tracking for Mesa, much like Linux kernel performance tracking?

Comment

Regarding the 2D Tiling improvements, have these been fixed to render properly? They were pretty broken when you tested them in the article you linked to.

Comment

Code:
         ~ % LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo | grep render
        libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/tls/r600_dri.so
        libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r600_dri.so
        libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r600_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/libglsl.so: undefined symbol: _mesa_symbol_table_add_symbol)
        libGL: OpenDriver: trying /tls/r600_dri.so
        libGL: OpenDriver: trying /r600_dri.so
        libGL error: dlopen /r600_dri.so failed (/r600_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
        libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/tls/r600_dri.so
        libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/r600_dri.so
        libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/r600_dri.so failed (/usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/r600_dri.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32)
        libGL error: unable to load driver: r600_dri.so
        libGL error: driver pointer missing
        libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
        libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so
        [1]    13627 segmentation fault (core dumped)  LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo | 
               13628 exit 1                            grep --color=auto render
        Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          It could be nice if we could test if there is some performance gains with this flushes refactorings.
          Michel, didn't you said there is some daily performance tracking for Mesa, much like Linux kernel performance tracking?
          I would expect there are given that seems to be the whole point of the exercise. I would like to know how much though.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            Regarding the 2D Tiling improvements, have these been fixed to render properly? They were pretty broken when you tested them in the article you linked to.
            Latest versions:

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
              This series was mostly clean up and fixing some issues related to flushing.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                Thank you, so are they working better? =)
                I'm not running any homebuilt Mesa parts, just what's in unstable portage on Gentoo. I could run an overlay with git HEAD, but it does feel a bit dangerous for my primary desktop since I actually want to be able to do stuff on it as well, hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                  Thank you, so are they working better? =)
                  I'm not running any homebuilt Mesa parts, just what's in unstable portage on Gentoo. I could run an overlay with git HEAD, but it does feel a bit dangerous for my primary desktop since I actually want to be able to do stuff on it as well, hehe.
                  If you're comfortable in the command line (and being a fellow Gentoo'er you aught to be) there's no reason not to try the x11 overlay

Just unmask the packages you'd like to test and if there are any problems remove the unmask lines

You can also use quickpkg to keep a binary copy of known working versions that you can revert back to using the emerge -G option

I personally unmask all the live ebuilds symlinking the profiles/mask file to my unmask directory and rebuild daily

Comment

FTA:
                    (some people should seriously learn what "polymorphism" means and how it's used to write software before even writing drivers, because I feel like I am the only one making use of it in r600g, which is really a shame /rant)
                    D'oh.

Comment

Working...
                    X