Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLX-Dock / Cairo-Dock 3.0 Released

Phoronix: GLX-Dock / Cairo-Dock 3.0 Released

GLX-Dock / Cairo-Dock, the popular open-source OpenGL dock available for the Linux desktop, has reached its 3.0 milestone with some significant changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congratulations...

You've cloned MacOS X toolbar.

Maybe just spend the $29.95 and buy a copy of MacOS X instead?

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post

Done and Done! Gonna drop another $2k when the 2012 iMacs are released.

In all of my VMs (running ubuntu on fusion), I immediately install CCSM and Cairo dock. I then set the Unity launcher plugin to hide. Done. If I ever need to bring up the unity launcher, all I have to do is hit the apple key, not that I should ever have to. This leaves me with a nice dock and a global menu.

F

Comment

Clutter

Wonder if perhaps the Clutter toolkit would be good for a dock?
        Any Clutter-powered docks out there?

Comment

The configuration dialog does not follow HIG.

I would never pay for proprietary software.

Comment

...but you'll spend your time re-implementing proprietary user interfaces!

Comment

...but you'll spend your time re-implementing proprietary user interfaces!
              A good design idea is still a good design idea even though it is implemented in proprietary code.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas
                A good design idea is still a good design idea even though it is implemented in proprietary code.
                Damn straight.

Comment

The thing is this: I got into UNIX/Linux/*BSD/X Window back in the late Windows 3.11 days. So over the next few years I found many of cool new UIs spanning the range from TWM simplicity to OpenSTEP's comprehensiveness.

Now, though, the greatest efforts and attention seem to go into duplicating the UI ideas of Microsoft and Apple. People are proud that they've duplicated things like this OS X knock-off start bar thingy.

I think people should be more proud of coming up with new better UI ideas though, or just putting out experimental work.

Comment

The thing is this: I got into UNIX/Linux/*BSD/X Window back in the late Windows 3.11 days. So over the next few years I found many of cool new UIs spanning the range from TWM simplicity to OpenSTEP's comprehensiveness.

Now, though, the greatest efforts and attention seem to go into duplicating the UI ideas of Microsoft and Apple. People are proud that they've duplicated things like this OS X knock-off start bar thingy.

I think people should be more proud of coming up with new better UI ideas though, or just putting out experimental work.
                    The OS X dock is not invented by Apple, it was probably inspired by Sun Microsystem's Project Looking Glass which had a dock and is much older.
                    Unity is new-think, locally-integrated menus is new think, and GNOME 3 and KDE 4 has some new thinking. I've also seen other innovative original UIs on desktop environments of Linux and Unix such as hexagonal grids, pie menus, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X