Maximal: A New Open-Source License...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximal: A New Open-Source License...

Phoronix: Maximal: A New Open-Source License...

Some user, after having communicated with Richard Stallman, decided to write a new open-source license. This new open-source license is quite simple and is being called Maximal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This guy doesn't even use properly "it's" and "its" in the license text. Probably noble but worthless effort, hardly worth my comment or a phoronix article.

Comment

Is this email a joke?

Comment

This will be remembered as the day that changed the open-source industry.

Comment

Doesn't even talk about patents

Which makes it a worthless licence..

Comment

So, someone farts a three-line license, and it becomes news now...?

Comment

Actually, I think he wrote it after talking with me in the FSF priority projects thread more so than after talking with RMS.

Comment

This license would not have any value inside a court so it's useless.

Comment

It'd be fun to see this checked by an actual lawyer. A lot of the verbosity of current licenses is to accomodate different local laws, and to make the text precise enough to hold in court. The unfortunate thing about the legal system is that you can't rely on common sense or intentions, so it's quite possible that this license isn't even enforceable in its current state.

Comment

wtf

This is not newsworthy.
                    The idiot who wrote it knows as little about IP law as he knows about grammar and spelling.
                    Who wrote this, some 10-year-old kid?
                    I wouldn't expect it to stand up in court.

If you want a good license, check out the ISC license, it is similar to the 2-clause BSD and MIT license, but even shorter due to things being striped out that were made redundant by the Berne convention.

Comment

Working...
                    X