Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau NV10-NV20 Can Now Handle S3TC

Phoronix: Nouveau NV10-NV20 Can Now Handle S3TC

While still not available by default, the Nouveau NV10/NV20 Mesa DRI driver can now handle S3TC texture compression support when available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When does the patent expire?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
      As well, I was recently explaining this lack of S3 Texture Compression support by default in open-source Linux graphics drivers to a major game developer. He found these patent concerns to be silly to even the point of pure stupidity and will be looking at what can be done to resolve these concerns so there could be this support "out of the box" seeing as how many modern OpenGL games require this texture compression functionality.

10chars

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        When does the patent expire?
        I think that in 2017.

Comment

Debian and Ubuntu have it through s2tc:
          Now Mesa with floating point texture support and GL_S3_s3tc support is already available in Xorg-Edgers PPA, but this PPA is designed to provide unstable stuff and sometimes requer kernel update, to get video drivers working. It's can not be used by typical user on daily basis. I suggest to provide Mesa-build with floating point texture support and GL_S3_s3tc support (libtxc-dxtn0 in "requered dependecy" list) in Jockey, like proprietary drivers. Many users have a legal right to not comply...

see comment #3.

Comment

Ah, I never expected a newsline still containing NV1x and NV2x. Wow, maybe I can really unbury my old Geforce 2 and 3 and put them to use. Maybe in the VIA boxes, that would be an upgrade.
            There's a lot of love for old hardware recently. That's refreshing.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Q, you have some good source there.

Comment

Didn't HTC buy this patent? They are probably more open source friendly than VIA/S3. Someone should have a talk with them and get a statement.

Comment

HTC is Via/S3 for all intents and purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    Ah, I never expected a newsline still containing NV1x and NV2x. Wow, maybe I can really unbury my old Geforce 2 and 3 and put them to use. Maybe in the VIA boxes, that would be an upgrade.
                    There's a lot of love for old hardware recently. That's refreshing.
                    Yeah, too bad my Geforce 2 MX died many years ago along with my 500Mhz K6-2...

Comment

Working...
                    X