Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Support Finally For Creative Sound Core3D

Phoronix: Linux Support Finally For Creative Sound Core3D

The Linux 3.5 kernel will introduce support for the Sound Core3D audio cards that were launched by Creative last year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just buy a Xonar

My Asus Xonar DX has a real PCIe interface and works great with the stock Linux audio drivers. The very name "Creative" should get these criminals in trouble for deceptive marketing since the only "creative" thing they do is make up excuses for putting out crap products. Creative deserves to die and nobody will miss them.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      [...]
      I have a Asus Xonar D1 and I'm also pretty satisfied with it. But I'm also satisfied with my Creative Zen Stone, which I've used as my default MP3 player the last 6 years or even more Unfortunately it looks like they don't produce such robust little mp3-players anymore. It seems I have to use this mp3 player until it is broken...

Comment

I haven't use a Creative Zen for a while, do they still require that horrible software under Windows and what is the situation under Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          I have a Asus Xonar D1 and I'm also pretty satisfied with it. But I'm also satisfied with my Creative Zen Stone, which I've used as my default MP3 player the last 6 years or even more Unfortunately it looks like they don't produce such robust little mp3-players anymore. It seems I have to use this mp3 player until it is broken...
          I would suggest you to get a SanDisk Sansa player and rockbox it! I own a Fuze+ (and a Fuze v2 before that) and it works great with rockbox, if you prefer smaller players there's the Clip+ or Clip Zip that are also rockbox-ready.

Comment

Why on earth would anybody want to buy a sound card nowadays unless they need something for multichannel recordings?

If I want good sound quality I just pipe out over SPDIF or HDMI and have a nice receiver do all the work.

Comment

I'll never buy Creative sound cards again

The support for anything but windows is just absent. X-Fi, I currently have supported on linux with minimal set of features and no better than average HDA, no support advanced options.

Comment

It surprises me that Creative is still around. I mean, they had nice cards at the times of SB 16 and stuff but later... thing's became rather worse and then with X-Fi they had horrible Linux support. And with all the many onboard soundchips, that get the job done, there might be little space for them... Their products seemed lightly overpriced (at least here in Germany where all electronics are somehow 30-50% more expensive than anywhere else) and I also didn't see their mobile equipment really rocketstart.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Another satisfied Asus Xonar D2X user here. Not going back to Creative, that's for sure.

Comment

Seems

It seems most people find the integrated Realtek audio on motherboards to be good enough.
                    Especially if you wire it to an external DAC / amplifier over S/PDIF.

And the enthusiasts going over from Creative to the Asus Xonar cards.

Even a cheapo C-Media card is good over S/PDIF and you can get bit-perfect audio.

Comment

Working...
                    X