Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Ported To 64-bit, Picks Up OpenJDK Support

Phoronix: Haiku OS Ported To 64-bit, Picks Up OpenJDK Support

The Haiku operating system, the open-source BeOS-compatible platform, was successful in receiving a working x86_64 port this summer. Haiku 64-bit is working, but not all applications and drivers have yet been ported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very interesting.. in the meanwhile I m getting KDL's while even trying to boot Haiku on old hardware such P3 systems...(while ZETA works perfect there!)

Comment

What about SCSI?

Yeah, really interesting. But does it support SCSI adapters? I've been unable to find reliable information about whether and which SCSI adapters Haiku supports. I've tried browsing the source too but didn't find it there either. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. All the same - does anyone have any pointers about Haiku's SCSI support. I really want to try it on an old 2xPentiumII/300 machine but it only has SCSI drives.

Comment

You can boot (from a CD) to "live" mode to see if your SCSI card is supported , again *IF* you are lucky and the boot don't go to KDL...

I remember the old good BeOS had support for SCSI like 2940W/UW

Comment

Isn't half the point of this OS is to have a modern BeOS distro that is binary compatible with the old BeOS programs? If so, won't 64 bit break that compatibility?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Isn't half the point of this OS is to have a modern BeOS distro that is binary compatible with the old BeOS programs? If so, won't 64 bit break that compatibility?
            Haiku already has a mechanism to run original BeOS applications (which were compiled with GCC 2) under a GCC 4-compiled Haiku system. 64bit Haiku could build on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              Haiku already has a mechanism to run original BeOS applications (which were compiled with GCC 2) under a GCC 4-compiled Haiku system. 64bit Haiku could build on that.
              So the old closed-source binaries will still work on this 64 bit release? If so, that's pretty awesome - it almost makes the 32 bit version completely obsolete once they finish porting everything.

Comment

I don't think the 64bit build supports 32bit userland yet but it will probably be trivial to add.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  but it will probably be trivial to add.
                  Famous last words.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    So the old closed-source binaries will still work on this 64 bit release? If so, that's pretty awesome - it almost makes the 32 bit version completely obsolete once they finish porting everything.
                    To be clear: I was just saying that it could end up this way. I can't predict the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X