Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinuxDays: An Open-Source Event Of Disorganization

Phoronix: LinuxDays: An Open-Source Event Of Disorganization

The inaugural LinuxDays event took place the prior few days in Prague, Czech Republic where around 800 open-source developers and users converged for a series of meetings and technical sessions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Food was OK ;-)

I'd say, food on the party was ok - just distributed during the evening/night. Especially barbecue outside - white wursts, hmm... Nearly no beer but quite a lot of wine - we left for another bar (don't know the time, 21:30-22:00?) and it was still possible to get some wine. But as I was serving our booth, that's all I can tell about LinuxDays

Comment

Phew. Glad I didn't miss too much. Would have like to meet some Gentoo devs, though. But I was working both days in the labs.
      Well, if it was their first one...
      Suprising that there was more wine than beer since Cz is a common place for beer.

If somebody is close to that area anyway I might recommend the Chemnitz(er) Linux Days (Tage). I am attending them next year maybe for the 8th or more time and last year and I was always fond of it. Good talks, very friendly prices and also good food support. Also with an area for booths for commercial vendors in the FOSS/Linux field as well as all sorts of Distributions and local or EU wide projects, Chaos Computer Club, EFF, FSFE and stuff.
      Support for people with small children, beginners seminars, workshops.

I got myself behind the scenes last year as a helper (and will do so next year again) cause I felt like people were working friendly and fair with each other even during phases of stress. Generally it was more family like than the (more commercially looking) Berlin Linux Days.

Aunt Edith screams from the backgound:
      Die Chemnitzer Linux-Tage sind eine Veranstaltung rund um das Thema Linux und Open Source für jedermann, die Linux-Nutzer, Insider und Unternehmen zusammenbringt.

normally taking place around 1st or 2nd weekend in March, since 1999.

(wiki page only in German, sorry.)
      (A good bunch of talks are in English, else in German.)
      Last edited by Adarion; 22 October 2012, 03:56 PM.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        Phew. Glad I didn't miss too much. Would have like to meet some Gentoo devs, though. But I was working both days in the labs.
        Suprising that there was more wine than beer since Cz is a common place for beer.
        Well, you missed quite some interesting talks and discussions and parties with really interesting people. But you haven't missed a lot of free beer, just a little. Will comment about whole article separately.

If somebody is close to that area anyway I might recommend the Chemnitz(er) Linux Days (Tage). I am attending them next year maybe for the 8th or more time and last year and I was always fond of it. Good talks, very friendly prices and also good food support. Also with an area for booths for commercial vendors in the FOSS/Linux field as well as all sorts of Distributions and local or EU wide projects, Chaos Computer Club, EFF, FSFE and stuff.

I got myself behind the scenes last year as a helper (and will do so next year again) cause I felt like people were working friendly and fair with each other even during phases of stress. Generally it was more family like than the (more commercially looking) Berlin Linux Days.

Die Chemnitzer Linux-Tage sind eine Veranstaltung rund um das Thema Linux und Open Source für jedermann, die Linux-Nutzer, Insider und Unternehmen zusammenbringt.

I was at CLT few times and although it is great event, big disadvantage was that most of it is in German. So the only think you are left with are booths...

Comment

Well, original expectations were between 500 and 1000 people which was achieved. As for the feeling as expanded openSUSE Conference and other distributions being less prominent... There was a Gentoo room whole two days. And I particulary enjoyed network talks and "round table" where first was talk by pavlix - RedHat guy working on Network Manager and second was Olaf Kirchs talk about networking in SUSE and in the end common BoF.

As for the party, my guess would be that there was about 150 people, which if the number of drinks is correct would mean more than two drinks for everybody. I admit that I came late, but there were still free drinks and I got stuffed from second round of food (delayed to leave something for latecommers). I visited both FOSDEM and LinuxTag several times and I agree that both are great events. But both have much longer tradition and probably much bigger budget ;-) And still I don't remeber free food and drinks on FOSDEM and on LinuxTag I remember something about paid entrance and paid party. And I think if you would have spend just LinuxTag entrance fee on LinuxDays party, you wouldn't be able to walk back to the hotel :-D

Apart from that, I'm not going to the Linux events to get free beer and free food (although it never hurts), but to meet interesting people and visit interesting talks which I managed ;-)

Comment

You missed quite some interesting talks, discussions and several parties with really interesting people. But if the point of visitng conference is to get stuffed and drunk for free, you haven't missed extremely much ;-)

I visited CLT and it is great event, but I had troubles finding English talks as majority and even all interesting talks were in German.

Comment

Parties

Really, evaluating a conference by the party...

Many talks were nice, but you couldn't miss so much because all were live-streamed
              Discover how Bloomingdale's On Screen leverages Bambuser's One-to-Many Video Commerce to revolutionize retail. Engage with international customers through live shopping channels featuring exclusive designer reveals, expert demonstrations, and interactive Q&As.

Comment

Working...
              X