Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux On The Microsoft Surface Won't Be Easy

Phoronix: Linux On The Microsoft Surface Won't Be Easy

If you were hoping you would be able to run your favorite Linux distribution on Microsoft's new Surface Tablet, it doesn't look like it will be an easy task to accomplish...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Firstly, I think Linux on Surface has already been accomplished, although the results of that may not be public.

But the question is, why would you want to pay $500 for a 10" 1366x768 tablet with Tegra 3, 2 GB RAM and 32 GB flash memory when Android tablets with better specs can be had for less. And usually those have unlocked bootloaders so you can replace Android with whatever Linux distro you prefer.

Comment

Just buy a Nexus (or if you want the keyboard functionality, a Transformer) tablet. Open bootloaders (or unlockable) and you get the same chip under the hood (if you use a Nexus 7 or any TF) with a higher PPI display. Don't give Microsoft your money for the Windows RT license.

Comment

Exactly like an iPad, or numerous other locked down ARM devices

Non-story.

Comment

To all those who think this isn't important or is a non-story, you're missing an important point here.

This confirms our worst fears: that you cannot install Linux based distros except maybe with extreme difficulty on such devices. And this is in fact an anti-competitive move by Microsoft.

It may be limited to the Windows Surface tablets now, but what if it becomes more widespread? What if more device manufacturers follow suit and this becomes the norm even for Android devices? Such a thing is simply not acceptable. Of course, such devices have existed before, and will exist in the future - but we can't continue accepting such things. We've got to show device manufacturers and companies that we will NOT accept such restrictive devices.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            To all those who think this isn't important or is a non-story, you're missing an important point here.

This confirms our worst fears: that you cannot install Linux based distros except maybe with extreme difficulty on such devices. And this is in fact an anti-competitive move by Microsoft.

It may be limited to the Windows Surface tablets now, but what if it becomes more widespread? What if more device manufacturers follow suit and this becomes the norm even for Android devices? Such a thing is simply not acceptable. Of course, such devices have existed before, and will exist in the future - but we can't continue accepting such things. We've got to show device manufacturers and companies that we will NOT accept such restrictive devices.
            Do you live under a rock? Limited to windows surface tablets? It's been like this on 90% of these devices. This IS the norm for many many android devices and all iOS devices. Many android devices have locked bootloaders. I have a nexus which doesn't so I am lucky.

This is nothing new.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
              It may be limited to the Windows Surface tablets now, but what if it becomes more widespread? What if more device manufacturers follow suit and this becomes the norm even for Android devices?
              It's already the norm, and it's been that way for a decade. I'm not sure why you think MS is pushing this tendency - if anything, they are the ones following in the footsteps of everyone else.

Comment

thats soooo much crap too.

Thats exactly like saying.... "But maa-aaaah you're a crackhead, so I thought I could be a crackhead too! But I'm gonna use this fatter needle and bigger syringe, and I'm gonna knock you out and make you take my (bigger) dosage in your eyeball!!"
                Last edited by duby229; 29 December 2012, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  thats soooo much crap too.

Thats exactly like saying.... "But maa-aaaah you're a crackhead, so I thought I could be a crackhead too! But I'm gonna use this fatter needle and bigger syringe, and I'm gonna knock you out and make you take my (bigger) dosage in your eyeball!!"
                  It's more like walking into a crack den, seeing 100 people doing drugs, and then focusing entirely on 1 new guy standing in the corner doing the least amount while ignoring everyone else.

I don't like locked down devices, but it's hypocritical to focus only on MS when there are much bigger players like Apple doing the same thing.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 29 December 2012, 11:34 PM.

Comment

If you had one of these devices you'd want to totally remove Windows 8 RT OS and then put on Linux, but I bet there are other restrictions to stop this. It may even mean opening the device up and turning on a write mode to areas of memory, electronically.

The fact is this device is very expensive for the features.

Comment

Working...
                    X