Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 19 Release Today Brings The PDF Viewer

Phoronix: Firefox 19 Release Today Brings The PDF Viewer

Mozilla is releasing today version 19 of the Firefox web-browser. Firefox 19.0 is another exciting release on the feature front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and thats the major announcement for Firefox ? That it has PDF reader ? Which was available as pdf.js addon ages ago.
    What happened to those times when 1 major version change brought tons of improvements. ?
    :sigh:

Comment

Originally posted by mayankleoboy1 View Post
      and thats the major announcement for Firefox ?
      Who / where does it say "major" announcement ... this is just a regular release.

What happened to those times when 1 major version change brought tons of improvements. ?
      The version number does not have the meaning you think it does.

Comment

Those times ended when Mozilla adopted a rapid release cycle for Firefox. Remember that back in those times we had to wait 6 months or more for a new version.

I guess it depends if your glass is half full or half empty.

Comment

Anyone capable of sharing quick first impressions about the PDF viewer in FF 19? Will it be able to smoothly open my ~900 page electronic edition of my book complete with pictures? Is it capable of text search? Full screen? Auto resize? Select and copy? Can it handle forms?

Comment

Nice, a totally useless PDF viewer that doesn’t have the features I need from a PDF viewer. Good idea.

Meanwhile, the add bookmark window is still too small, and the new “do you want to remember this password” popup still sucks (when the previous one was very good; of course they had to change it.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
              Anyone capable of sharing quick first impressions about the PDF viewer in FF 19? Will it be able to smoothly open my ~900 page electronic edition of my book complete with pictures? Is it capable of text search? Full screen? Auto resize? Select and copy? Can it handle forms?
              you can try it at http://mozilla.github.com/pdf.js/

Comment

and thats the major announcement for Firefox ? That it has PDF reader ? Which was available as pdf.js addon ages ago.
                :sigh:

What?s New

NEW
                Built-in PDF viewer
                CHANGED
                Canvas elements can export their content as an image blob using canvas.toBlob()
                CHANGED
                Startup performance improvements (bugs 715402 and 756313)
                DEVELOPER
                Debugger now supports pausing on exceptions and hiding non-enumerable properties
                DEVELOPER
                Remote Web Console is available for connecting to Firefox on Android or Firefox OS (experimental, set devtools.debugger.remote-enabled to true)
                DEVELOPER
                There is now a Browser Debugger available for add-on and browser developers (experimental, set devtools.chrome.enabled to true)
                DEVELOPER
                Web Console CSS links now open in the Style Editor
                HTML5
                CSS @page is now supported
                HTML5
                CSS viewport-percentage length units implemented (vh, vw, vmin and vmax)
                HTML5
                CSS text-transform now supports full-width
                FIXED
                Starting Firefox with -private flag incorrectly claims you are not in Private Browsing mode (802274)

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  It's certainly better than when it was only available in the betas (so it's just annoyingly slow instead of painfully slow), but it still loads pages only when they are in view, rather than doing so continuously until the document is fully loaded. This might hamper text search unless it's only the rendering that is deferred. If you want decent performance and a full feature set you should stick with a real PDF reader as a plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by wpoely86 View Post
                    Thanks! It would not accept my 9MB PDF, but I did upload a .ppt -> .pdf slideshow. Very smooth experience. Only many letters/numbers are garbled. SoMEtHiNg LIke ThIS. Looks promising though.

I can see the benefits of reinventing the wheel just to be able to do this in a browser without plugins. I can see the benefit, it's a shame they have to do it all over again while we have great library's like popper already.

Comment

Working...
                    X