Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Will AMD Open Up Next?

Phoronix: What Will AMD Open Up Next?

With the Friday night release of the R300-500 3D programming documentation, which open-source developers have already been pleased by, what will be AMD's next strategic OSS move? AMD is still in the process of releasing an R600 3D programming guide, Tcore, the bottom layer of the fglrx driver (possibly), and other information. These efforts are all to better enable the open-source community in developing the R500+ RadeonHD driver and further enriching the R300/400 Radeon driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They will open up <dunno>, and I am already excited about it

Comment

Oh yeah, I would love that too

Comment

TV-out support

I have a mythtv box with an onboar nvidia card, and it works perfectly. Now recently my brother decided to transform his old box into a mythtv box too. Easy said, easy done. As long as I used the open source radeon driver everything would work perfectly, when I used the ati fglrx driver however video would become sluggish. I sterted with the mythbuntu included fglrx driver and then installed the latest fglrx driver , this did really improve it all. Now it works quite well, after finding a way around issues the fglrx driver seems to have with tv-out and video overlays about 100% of the time (or they solved it now, since I configured the driver in what I think a logical way now). What would have been nice was to use the radeon driver and have tv-out support in it. I tried the gatos patches, but with no succes. But gatos is very clear, they actually support some r300 cards already, so I think with a little bit of help they can properly implement tv-out for most of the cards out there. So I know this desire comes from the fact that the fglrx driver used to behave badly with tv-out, which seems to be (at least) partly solved, but I think this would be a nice little gift for february 29th, how often can you do something nice on february 29...
        Regards,

Michael

Comment

How about opening render monkey?

Comment

Hardware Assisted Video Acceleration

I'm am personally hoping for open source XvMC and VA API support in AMD's ATI GPU drivers

GPU assisted video decoding MPEG-1/MPEG-2, MPEG-4 ASP / H.263, MPEG-4 part 2), MPEG-4 AVC / H.264 (MPEG-4 part 10), and VC-1 / VMW3.

By executing and accelerating some or all of these processes on the GPU:
            - Motion compensation (mocomp)
            - Inverse discrete cosine transform (iDCT)
            - Inverse telecine 3:2 and 2:2 pull-down correction
            - Inverse modified discrete cosine transform (iMDCT)
            - In-loop deblocking filter
            - Intra-frame prediction
            - Inverse quantization (IQ)
            - Deinterlacing
            - CABAC bitstream processing
            - CAVLC bitstream processing (VLD, Variable Length Decoding, more commonly known as slice-level acceleration)

Comment

I also like to see ATI UVD (ATI Universal Video Decoder) be open sourced, and Linux support added.

via XvMC (X-Video Motion Compensation) and VA API (Video Acceleration API)

Comment

I would like to see 3D properly working with R200 in radeon driver. There are many people having computers with Radeon 9000/9200/9250 and using games on Windows and they really can't use closed source games on Linux because of lack of vertex and pixel shaders etc. support in any driver.
                How about just released 3D documentation for R300-R500? Is it enought to implement near FGLRX (or even better) 3D support in open source radeon driver for R300?
                I've just switched back to radeon driver on my RV350 from couple of months using FGLRX driver because of stability and annoying video/compiz/dualhead problems. Btw. the last thing which makes mi frustrated in FGLRX so I've switched the driver was indirect rendering crash (in every application) using dualhead configuration and ignoring the options of display arrangement (tmds1 crt1 tv) in xorg.conf.

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
                  I would like to see 3D properly working with R200 in radeon driver. There are many people having computers with Radeon 9000/9200/9250 and using games on Windows and they really can't use closed source games on Linux because of lack of vertex and pixel shaders etc. support in any driver.
                  As far as I know, the open source R200 driver currently supports everything the card is capable of, including vertex and pixel shaders. The problem with commercial games and shaders (I'm assuming you mean Windows games running through WINE) is the fault of WINE, not the driver. In order to emulate Direct3D pixel shaders, WINE relies on the ARB_fragment_program extension, which is equivalent to D3D Shader Model 2 and which is beyond the hardware capabilities of R200. In other words, to play a D3D game with shaders on WINE you need at least a Shader Model 2 card, even if the game would work on Windows with a Shader Model 1 card.

The reason for this is that there's no single OpenGL extension that corresponds to D3D Shader Model 1; each card vendor exposed their first-generation shader capabilities using their own extensions, which differ considerably from each other and from D3D in programming semantics, and the WINE developers haven't written the code to map the D3D shader programming model to these vendor-specific semantics.

Comment

As long as someone's asking, I wouldn't mind using the VIVO (S-video, composite in/out) capabilities on a 9200 (r200) I have. I have a PCI r128 All-in-wonder card too which has a v4l driver (genericv4l, last updated for 2.6.20) but has never really worked properly for me.

Documentation for tuners (hyrbid/digital/analog) would be nice, as would coreboot (linuxbios) docs for the 6/7-series chipsets. The 8000-series chipsets had all the right docs published, but not the subsequent chipsets. The Geode chipsets seem to have good support though, which makes me wonder.

Comment

Working...
                    X