Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" To Release In Early May

Phoronix: Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" To Release In Early May

The long-awaited Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" release is expected to happen the first weekend of May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" To Release In Early May

The long-awaited Debian 7.0 "Wheezy" release is expected to happen the first weekend of May...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NDc
    Excellent!

I can upgrade my work computer, but I'm mostly excited by the fact that testing and unstable will be unlocked again. It was getting kind of stale

Comment

Have been using Wheezy at work in two machines. No complaints! Feels like the best version of Debian so far; been using Debian on/off since Potato.

Comment

/usr merge

So when will the /usr merge come to Debian?
        It is coming?

Also, I hope they update their Wayland packages to 1.1 soon.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Excellent!

I can upgrade my work computer, but I'm mostly excited by the fact that testing and unstable will be unlocked again. It was getting kind of stale
          By the time Wheezy comes out , it is going to be outdated already LOL. Is going to be like that for years!

Comment

Will gnome 3.6 appear in testing soon after stable is released? I'd like to use debian with gnome on my computer, but gnome 3.4 has too many freezing/deadlock issues that I don't get with 3.6.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Excellent!

I hate those freezes with a passion. I can see why stable is useful for servers, but testing and unstable shouldn't be affected. Especially now that ubuntu is so committed to (corrupted by) in-house projects, we could really use a .deb rolling release like Debian CUT was supposed to be.

Maybe now with the the Mir \ Unity fiasco things will start moving...

Comment

yay my usb wifi dongle will be supported now

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                By the time Wheezy comes out , it is going to be outdated already LOL. Is going to be like that for years!
                i read that as "it is going to be stable...[and] is going to be like that for years!"

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                I hate those freezes with a passion. I can see why stable is useful for servers, but testing and unstable shouldn't be affected. Especially now that ubuntu is so committed to (corrupted by) in-house projects, we could really use a .deb rolling release like Debian CUT was supposed to be.
                they freeze testing? i always thought it was rolling release.
                Last edited by Loafers; 18 April 2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Maybe now with the the Mir \ Unity fiasco things will start moving...
                  You never actually supposed to RUN Debian testing / unstable as a distro though. They were package repos, that would be shuffled around, hence the freezes.

I do agree that they should have something continuous that isnt as haphazard as experimental but we can't really be mad that we're using it in a way that it wasnt designed to be used.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I hate those freezes with a passion. I can see why stable is useful for servers, but testing and unstable shouldn't be affected.
                    What? How can a freeze of Testing not affect Testing? That doesn't make sense. Testing is frozen for a good reason, making the great stability of the next Stable even possible, complaining about the freeze is totally missing the point.

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                    You are right, you won't be seen as Ubergeek by your Windows using friends when you are not using a rolling release/bleeding edge distro or a distro for which being in the news and release at a fixed date is much more important than being bug-free or stable (like Ubuntu), so Debian obviously is not for the average troll.
                    Anyone who actually needs a stable OS will have no problem with older software in Debian (or Red Hat, FWIW).

Comment

Working...
                    X