Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno Gallium3D Now Banging The Adreno A3XX

Phoronix: Freedreno Gallium3D Now Banging The Adreno A3XX

One month after Rob Clark began developing his Freedreno Gallium3D stack for Qualcomm's Adreno A3xx hardware, he's beginning to achieve visual success. While the code hasn't yet been merged into mainline Mesa, on an A320 as found on the Google Nexus 4 he has es2gears (the OpenGL ES version of glxgears) successfully running on this open-source code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's pretty exciting. I can't wait to see the code in the hands of more Nexus users, running more extensive demos. Might this make it possible to port something like Sailfish to those devices before Wayland comes around?

Comment

btw, another device w/ a320 which might be interesting to some folks who want a cheap dev-board (like odroid-x or pandaboard) is the IFC6410 (which *really* needs a more catchy name).. 2GiB RAM, SATA, GigE.. looks promising :-)

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
        btw, another device w/ a320 which might be interesting to some folks who want a cheap dev-board (like odroid-x or pandaboard) is the IFC6410 (which *really* needs a more catchy name).. 2GiB RAM, SATA, GigE.. looks promising :-)

http://inforcecomputing.com/blog/?p=27
        Interesting. Do you know what's responsible for video decoding on that board and if it'll actually be worth something? I've got a cubieboard and for now the real world performance of cedarx does not match the marketing.

Comment

Nice progress for just one month.

Comment

Originally posted by enio View Post
            Interesting. Do you know what's responsible for video decoding on that board and if it'll actually be worth something? I've got a cubieboard and for now the real world performance of cedarx does not match the marketing.
            I've not looked in to video decode, I pretty much have my hands full with the GPU end of things.. but it has some sort of accellerator and should be able to do at least 1080p (all the modern phone/tablet SoCs should.. the snapdragon 800, newer/faster/bigger version of the SoC on this board can do 4k video decode). So the hardware should be fine. But we need to find someone to work on the sw end of thing to come up with some GStreamer plugins or perhaps implement the video decode APIs in gallium (depending on what is a better fit API-wise for the hardware and kernel driver) to get this going under linux. Volunteers welcome :-)

Comment

I've not looked in to video decode, I pretty much have my hands full with the GPU end of things.. but it has some sort of accellerator and should be able to do at least 1080p (all the modern phone/tablet SoCs should.. the snapdragon 800, newer/faster/bigger version of the SoC on this board can do 4k video decode). So the hardware should be fine. But we need to find someone to work on the sw end of thing to come up with some GStreamer plugins or perhaps implement the video decode APIs in gallium (depending on what is a better fit API-wise for the hardware and kernel driver) to get this going under linux. Volunteers welcome :-)
              AMD seams to have enabled UVD via VDPAU threw Gallium, so with out knowing much about any thing I would think this should be a decent solution for this hardware as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                AMD seams to have enabled UVD via VDPAU threw Gallium, so with out knowing much about any thing I would think this should be a decent solution for this hardware as well.
                I really doubt that the video decode on the Adrenos is the same UVD as on Radeon chips. It is almost certainly different altogether. Reason for this is that when AMD was selling bits of ATI, they sold the video decode stuff to BROADCOM, who call it "crystalhd". I strongly suspect that what they gave to Qualcomm (now called Adreno) didn't include that.

Comment

Yeah I'm not thinking that the two chips are similar and that much code could be reused. But unless it has a separate PCI-id I still think that this would the direction to go for implementing it.

Comment

I've not looked in to video decode, I pretty much have my hands full with the GPU end of things..
                    Yes ofcourse and it's much appreciated. What I intended though is to say that Allwinner releases half-baked android blobs and broken linux blobs. Maybe Qualcomm or whoever makes the accelerator is known to at least provide blob support that actually works from the get go.

Comment

Working...
                    X