Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D LLVMpipe Benchmarks From Intel Haswell

Phoronix: Gallium3D LLVMpipe Benchmarks From Intel Haswell

Being published this afternoon are benchmarks of the Gallium3D LLVMpipe software driver compared to Intel HD 4600 graphics on Mesa 9.2 Git when using an Intel Core i7 4770K. While this Intel "Haswell" CPU is faster than previous generations, it's still obviously best not relying upon LLVMpipe...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It has to be said that the OpenArena 0.85 frame rate is pretty impressive for a software renderer.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      It has to be said that the OpenArena 0.85 frame rate is pretty impressive for a software renderer.
      An ugly Quake III Arena (released over 13 years ago) clone, a game that requires a Pentium II and 16 MB VRAM minimum, running on a high-end quad core $350 CPU using a resolution of 1280x1024 producing only ~62 FPS is impressive?

Comment

I can't think of any scenario where this software or this hardware will be used in this way. These benchmarks arent measuring anything useful. They have no value. Sure they are measuring something measurable, but not useful at all.

Comment

Well, they are showing the current maximum LLVMpipe performance.

Comment

Which isnt at all useful in this context as nobody is going to use it in this way.

Comment

Anybody who falls back on LLVMpipe wouldn't be using it to even perform anything that requires hardware acceleration, much less run games...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Which isnt at all useful in this context as nobody is going to use it in this way.
                But it's a good illustration for why it's better to invest in a good graphics card rather than even more processor speed, at least

Comment

I don't know, I am personally a big fan of processor speed. But it definitely shouldnt be used for rendering graphics in games. I think more time should be spent on trying to figure out better ways to extract parallelism and multithreading from games.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
                    An ugly Quake III Arena (released over 13 years ago) clone, a game that requires a Pentium II and 16 MB VRAM minimum, running on a high-end quad core $350 CPU using a resolution of 1280x1024 producing only ~62 FPS is impressive?

I was looking at the 1920x1080 rate, but otherwise yeah

I know it's not very demanding (it was a great demo in the early days of the open source graphics drivers) but it looks better than the graphics demand would suggest and 1920x1080 is still a lot of pixels to fill. BTW in case it's not obvious I kinda turn off my critical, analytical approach to things as the weekend approaches.

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    I don't know, I am personally a big fan of processor speed. But it definitely shouldnt be used for rendering graphics in games. I think more time should be spent on trying to figure out better ways to extract parallelism and multithreading from games.
                    No argument there. AFAIK the primary focus of llvmpipe was providing enough performance to support a GL-composited desktop on otherwise unaccelerated graphics hardware.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 15 June 2013, 12:24 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X