Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle To Work On Mesa Driver For VirtualBox

Phoronix: Oracle To Work On Mesa Driver For VirtualBox

An Oracle engineer is beginning to look at developing a Mesa-based graphics driver for their VM VirtualBox software that could be integrated into the mainline Mesa code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The majority of games are still unplayable in virtualbox so hopefullly this new driver, however it works out, will improve the situation so that more games are playable. Wine is proving to be better for playing windows games than virtualbox.
    Last edited by duby229; 20 June 2013, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Wine is proving to be better for playing windows games than virtualbox.
      LOL, no kidding? That was obvious like ~8 year ago.

Comment

The majority of games are still unplayable in virtualbox so hopefullly this new driver, however it works out, will improve the situation so that more games are playable. Wine is proving to be better for playing windows games than virtualbox.
        The only way it could be faster than Wine is by implementing VGA passthrough. QEMU is way ahead of VirtualBox in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
          LOL, no kidding? That was obvious like ~8 year ago.
          8 years ago wine couldnt even start desktop applications, let alone fullscreen 3d games. That pleasure has only been possible in the last 2-3 years. Getting better now. It seems like every 3rd release compatibility improves and more and more of my game collection is becoming playable.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            The only way it could be faster than Wine is by implementing VGA passthrough. QEMU is way ahead of VirtualBox in that area.
            Well, as a gamer you know it isnt really about running faster, it's about running better.

EDIT: it's been a while since I've tried it, so my opinion here may be a bit out of date, but QEMU is one of those code churn monsters. I have yet to successfully compile it. It always craps out. If it can't be compiled, then it isnt very useful.

EDIT2: I'm trying QEMU again now. Maybe the code churn has stabilized some now.
            Last edited by duby229; 20 June 2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Niether Virtualbox nor VMware are suitable for gaming, nor will they be anytime soon. it's funny that you would even consider this to be an option, since generally, games are written to be 'on the metal' NOT in an emulated environment (running on top of an entire OS to boot. lol... that should be obvious!). So it's no surprise (whatsoever) that you are getting better performance out of wine in the slightest.

As others have pointed you need VGA passthrough to get anywhere in a VM ~ since you can assign a GFX card to your guest and use native drivers. (ie: straight to the metal).

8 years ago wine couldnt even start desktop applications, let alone fullscreen 3d games. That pleasure has only been possible in the last 2-3 years. Getting better now. It seems like every 3rd release compatibility improves and more and more of my game collection is becoming playable.
              wrong on so many levels. ie: please go and fact check before making such obviously incorrect statements. 8 years ago Transgaming Inc. had commercial product(s) using Wine, for that explicit purpose; gaming in wine. Obviously, upstream wine was also able to run games at this point too; although for a while there, Transgaming 'apparently' had some advantages, that is, until Wine's development pace surprised what Transgaming could offer. You also might want to explain how this 2005 post would even exist, if what you say is true? (have fun with that...lol) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=101167 .... for that matter, you can explain these articles, as well;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransGaming_Inc.

Well, as a gamer you know it isnt really about running faster, it's about running better.
              wrong. read my first comment. in this case, it is about being faster. (in the context of running in a VM, indirect / translated calls vs. native drivers / VGA passthrough).

...and if you can't get qemu to work, Xen + vga passthrough is another option.

Comment

And in this case, faster is better. Wine already covers most of the other things that makes it better.

Comment

lol

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                  Niether Virtualbox nor VMware are suitable for gaming, nor will they be anytime soon. it's funny that you would even consider this to be an option, since generally, games are written to be 'on the metal' NOT in an emulated environment (running on top of an entire OS to boot. lol... that should be obvious!). So it's no surprise (whatsoever) that you are getting better performance out of wine in the slightest.

As others have pointed you need VGA passthrough to get anywhere in a VM ~ since you can assign a GFX card to your guest and use native drivers. (ie: straight to the metal).

wrong on so many levels. ie: please go and fact check before making such obviously incorrect statements. 8 years ago Transgaming Inc. had commercial product(s) using Wine, for that explicit purpose; gaming in wine. Obviously, upstream wine was also able to run games at this point too; although for a while there, Transgaming 'apparently' had some advantages, that is, until Wine's development pace surprised what Transgaming could offer. You also might want to explain how this 2005 post would even exist, if what you say is true? (have fun with that...lol) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=101167 .... for that matter, you can explain these articles, as well;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransGaming_Inc.

wrong. read my first comment. in this case, it is about being faster. (in the context of running in a VM, indirect / translated calls vs. native drivers / VGA passthrough).

...and if you can't get qemu to work, Xen + vga passthrough is another option.
                  qemu and xen are to complicated, better use dualboot if will play full screen no difference

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                    qemu and xen are to complicated, better use dualboot if will play full screen no difference
                    That's fine and dandy; *obviously* just running windows on H/W for those games will give the best performance ~ but that only applies *if* you are interested in dual booting, which i didn't get the impression that he was and i know other transgamers who also are not interested in having to dualboot just for XYZ app(s) or games; hence why theyrun windows games in Wine to begin with and/or explore other options.

it's also possible that some people don't mind what you consider to be 'complicated'. It might very well be that our friend here is quite capable and interested in trying out these other methods. I'm not a gamer, but i do use VMs for the purpose of not having to dualboot to access another OS. ~ it is convenient once setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X