Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Is Indeed Working On 3D QEMU Support

Phoronix: Red Hat Is Indeed Working On 3D QEMU Support

In continuation of my earlier Research Underway With QEMU 3D Support posting, Red Hat is indeed officially working on getting 3D-accelerated support up and running for virtual machines under QEMU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

--------
    While VirtualBox and VMware right now support 3D/OpenGL acceleration by passing the graphics commands onto the host machine for processing,
    --------------

Hu since when? I never got any 3D games working in a virtual machine! Do I need to update Virtualbox asap?

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
      Hu since when? I never got any 3D games working in a virtual machine! Do I need to update Virtualbox asap?
      Its working since some years not but VirtualBox OpenGL is horrible slow.

Comment

K models

Note that the K-models such as Core i7 4770K does not support VT-d (IOMMU).
        So VGA passthrough works on Core i7 4770 but not on Core i7 4770K!

Comment

IOMMU as standard and Qemu extension for browsers

We have VGA pasthorough tech, from Xen long time ago - in computer science time - but the needed IOMMU is not standarized at CPUs and MBs or SoCs - there are not a lot with it.

Samsung has just put in the market an hybrid with Android virtualized over MS WOS 8

If Google - or anyone else - makes a QEMU extensi?n for Chrome then the Google Pixel would be able to have Android and other OSs as any GNU/Linux or even MS WOS or OSX, if it is with VGA passthrough - IOMMU needed - even better. But selling it with Android plus Ubuntu VT preinstalled would increase a lot its sells.

What a little software change can do for the sells of an excellent hardware computer as Chrome PIxel.

I think the future is multi OS PREINSTALLED with VGA Passthrough even in smartphones, imagine an iphone with IOS + Android + Ubuntu phone + Firefox OS+ Tizen - if it finally comes out - it would be a killer machine all in one, and as IOS is propietary nobody - except by piracy - can have it all.

But Samsung - if Tizen goes out - can offer starting Tizen models with other SOs virtualized as Android Ubuntu phone and Firefox OS and that will make easier their first sells

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            This isn't new. Meanwhile: people praise Intel for their open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              This isn't new. Meanwhile: people praise Intel for their open source drivers.
              What have Intel's open source drivers to do with that? If anyone wants to use VT-d then he should pay attention which hardware he buys, simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                we have many 3770 here at cern that does exactly this job.
                at first I thought why don't they get the k series one and overclock it (they are getting 3820 for that job(they have plenty heavy single-threaded applications and need high clocks), which is partially unlocked) and then I saw the vt-d support on the box and l.o.l.ed at the stupidity of the intel's specs.

Comment

--------
                  While VirtualBox and VMware right now support 3D/OpenGL acceleration by passing the graphics commands onto the host machine for processing,
                  --------------

With VMWare its built in, with VirtualBox you have to install the GuestAdditions. I'm not sure about VMWare's performance but on VirtualBox its not great, but it IS 3D capable. Currently QEMU/KVM isn't even 3D capable.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

--------
                    --------------

At least as of VMware Workstation 9/Player 5, 3D support is only officially supported on NVIDIA graphics. At least that's what tech support told me when I lost 3D going from Workstation 8 to 9 on my Intel graphics notebook. They specifically disable 3D for Intel. Not sure what they do for AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X