Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Portal Leaves Beta On Steam For Linux

Phoronix: Valve's Portal Leaves Beta On Steam For Linux

Portal's been in beta on Linux since early May, but today Valve Software has finally moved this popular Source Engine game out of beta on Steam for Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just yeastady i was wondering if this was goint to happen soon

I only found a bug with Opposing Forces, all other valve games seamed to play as expected from beginning to end.

Comment

Unless there's another update to download and/or I just need the 13.6 catalyst drivers, they still didn't fix the mouse movement problem. Speaking of which, does anybody know when the 13.6 catalyst drivers will leave beta? It's almost the end of the month.

Comment

Out of curiosity is steam going to release a 64bit version of their client and games??

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Unless there's another update to download and/or I just need the 13.6 catalyst drivers, they still didn't fix the mouse movement problem. Speaking of which, does anybody know when the 13.6 catalyst drivers will leave beta? It's almost the end of the month.
          They don't release a new final driver a month anymore... actually right now they are working on a seperate branch for some bigger chances regarding input latency, micro stuttering etc. of which the first driver is scheduled for July, 31st. Wether the OpenGL bug is directly related to that remains to be seen.

Originally posted by 89c51
          Out of curiosity is steam going to release a 64bit version of their client and games??
          The next Steam client update will introduce support for 64-bit games/runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            They don't release a new final driver a month anymore... actually right now they are working on a seperate branch for some bigger chances regarding input latency, micro stuttering etc. of which the first driver is scheduled for July, 31st. Wether the OpenGL bug is directly related to that remains to be seen.
            Really? I heard of that driver being released for Windows but I wasn't aware they were doing the same for linux. BTW, the micro stuttering is for crossfire (which I'm happy about since I use CF, too bad no games on linux use it).

Comment

BTW, the micro stuttering is for crossfire (which I'm happy about since I use CF, too bad no games on linux use it).
              That is not the case. There's also micro stuttering happening with single GPU, although not as often. AMD also fixed that.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                That is not the case. There's also micro stuttering happening with single GPU, although not as often. AMD also fixed that.
                For my a10-5800K, I've found that the 13.3 beta driver is still the best all around. The Free Radeon driver of course works much better all around, but the 3D performance is just a bit too slow still.

Comment

That, they already did. And catalyst will have a fix for the lack of synchronization in glXSwapBuffers soon. Next time I advise you to try reporting the issues you encounter instead of venting the frustration fruitlessly in a public forum

Comment

Originally posted by volca View Post
                    That, they already did. And catalyst will have a fix for the lack of synchronization in glXSwapBuffers soon. Next time I advise you to try reporting the issues you encounter instead of venting the frustration fruitlessly in a public forum
                    I don't think you understand the point of my post. First, as you've shown, other people have reported the issue, so no need to post it again. Second, I wasn't complaining - I was stating that Portal shouldn't leave the beta state with such an issue still in tact. I already beat the game 3 times, I don't really care if I play it again. Thirdly, considering this is a known problem, I was mostly questioning if anyone knew if either Valve or the catalyst drivers fixed the issue, since I'm not sure where to look (besides, considering playing the game on linux is a low priority to me, I don't seriously care enough to go out of my way to check for myself.)
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 26 June 2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X