Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon DPM Power Management Gets Fixed Up Again

Phoronix: Radeon DPM Power Management Gets Fixed Up Again

Another round of bug-fixes for the Radeon Dynamic Power Management code has been submitted for the Linux 3.11 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No link?

Comment

Hi, you must be new here. This is Phoronix, where no article has any relevant external links, only links that link back to Phoronix, just as nature intended.

Go team AMD!

Comment

"This latest round takes care of hangs with DPM on some RV6xx series (Radeon HD 3000) graphics processors and separately fixes suspend-and-resume when using UVD video decoding. "

This was actually bothering me quite a lot on my HTPC. Glad its fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
          "This latest round takes care of hangs with DPM on some RV6xx series (Radeon HD 3000) graphics processors and separately fixes suspend-and-resume when using UVD video decoding. "

This was actually bothering me quite a lot on my HTPC. Glad its fixed!
          Which app do you use for HTPC? Guys in XBMC forum say VDPAU implementation it is not yet fully implemented within OS driver. Is there other that does it better or goes around missing stuff? When radeon driver for XBMC about month or so ago I still experienced few XBMC crashes not related to DPM at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
            Which app do you use for HTPC? Guys in XBMC forum say VDPAU implementation it is not yet fully implemented within OS driver. Is there other that does it better or goes around missing stuff? When radeon driver for XBMC about month or so ago I still experienced few XBMC crashes not related to DPM at all.
            In case of my HTPC, there is no need for UVD at all. Its processor is powerful enough to handle it without acceleration. It does need DPM so it would run cooler, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
              That is funny, because the same logic could be used to say "mplayer's VDPAU works just fine, so XBMC must be broken".

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
                So basically DPM isn't done and isn't stable. So enabling it would be a bad idea. So why the encouragement to enable it, when the 3.11 kernel isn't even released? It seems a bit irresponsible. Truth is, like with any other technology, it will take a while before it's actually good enough to be used by the masses. Hanging because of bad GPU drivers destroys Linux reputation.
                It's disabled by default. You should know that you're a tester when you enable it.

Anyway, didn't you rage quit phoronix?

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                  It's disabled by default. You should know that you're a tester when you enable it.
                  Heh you beat me to it... But yeah, test feedback is one of the main reasons to encourage enabling DPM in its current sate. I doubt "the masses" tinker with the boot arguments anyway.

Comment

Jumped the shark with your trolling...

Comment

Working...
                    X