Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mega Drivers" Being Proposed For A Faster Mesa

Phoronix: "Mega Drivers" Being Proposed For A Faster Mesa

Eric Anholt of Intel is currently working on some experimental Mesa code for shipping "Mega drivers", or building all of the Mesa/Gallium3D drivers together as a single shared object library file. There's some promise to this mega drivers concept in enhancing performance due to compiler/linker optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this can be good as you can easily work bugs out (Like in the Linux Kernal) but hmm? i see a few things that can go bad doing it this way the major one is ptaches

Comment

the performace gain from this seems to be very small, but yah every bit helps.
      the time for CD distros is over go with a dvd, no one uses it anyway they use a usb :P

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
        this can be good as you can easily work bugs out (Like in the Linux Kernal) but hmm? i see a few things that can go bad doing it this way the major one is ptaches
        I don't think this is supposed to actually unify the code, but instead it just changes a few things to be able to build all of mesa as a single object, and then makes some changes on which symbols are exported and which symbols are just for mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
          as mrugiero stated this a compilation angle things and not code related beyond the fixes needed to make it compile, this technique will allow better runtime performance since the symbol lookup tables get greatly reduced and could help to reduce it more making public only those symbols really needed instead of expose mesa internal symbols.

additional side effects is protecting mesa internal could reduce the surface of action of an potential security attack in some obscure scenarios

Comment

6% performance improvement across the board? Sounds like the next step. What does this mean for out-of-tree Direct3D and CUDA state trackers?

Comment

Originally posted by MrTheSoulz View Post
              the performace gain from this seems to be very small, but yah every bit helps.
              the time for CD distros is over go with a dvd, no one uses it anyway they use a usb :P
              USB? Who installs using those? TFTP/PXE/NFS is where it's at!

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                USB? Who installs using those? TFTP/PXE/NFS is where it's at!
                I bet that 99% of all Home users never heard from TFTP/PXE/NFS. The Big Problem is that the most routers can't ship an tftp server ip with dhcp.
                Last edited by Nille; 09 August 2013, 03:15 AM.

Comment

-0.798709% +/- 0.333703%

Error in same order of magnitude as the results? We call it insignificant (or nothing).

I also can't understand those trailing digits (these after 0.7 in -0.798709%) if we have an error of 0.3%. they absolutely don't have any value or meaning.

Comment

only for classic drivers

libdricore is only used by classic mesa drivers (mainly only intel chips). Gallium drivers are not affected.

Comment

Working...
                    X