Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir 0.0.9 Display Server Fixes Lag, VT Switching

Phoronix: Mir 0.0.9 Display Server Fixes Lag, VT Switching

For those following Mir Display Server development now that it's living in Ubuntu 13.10, Mir 0.0.9 has been released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there a good and simple way to test Mir/XMir? Something like a LiveCD that has everything installed, configured and ready?

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      Is there a good and simple way to test Mir/XMir? Something like a LiveCD that has everything installed, configured and ready?
      The current Ubuntu 13.10 daily live cd.

Comment

Mir, non-free display drivers, Ubuntu and Steam?

It would seem Canonical are gung-ho to have 13.10 use Mir instead of xorg but as far as I know neither AMD/ATi nor NV have yet to even so much as mention Mir support, hence its questionable if 13.10 would be of any real use to anyone interested in gaming or video production.

If they are going with Mir in 13.10, what of the much-hyped Ubuntu/Valve union? Will Steam gamers have to swap Mir out for xorg if they are running 13.10 or later or will Valve only support 12.04 to 13.04 until Mir gets binary drivers for the green and red teams GPUs?
        Last edited by danboid; 14 August 2013, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
          It would seem Canonical are gung-ho to have 13.10 use Mir instead of xorg but as far as I know neither AMD/ATi nor NV have yet to even so much as mention Mir support, hence its questionable if 13.10 would be of any real use to anyone interested in gaming or video production.
          To be fair, Wayland hasn't gotten much further by that score. The best we have so far are nVidia working on EGL drivers, which would work for both (in theory).

If they are going with Mir in 13.10, what of the much-hyped Ubuntu/Valve union? Will Steam gamers have to swap Mir out for xorg if they are running 13.10 or later or will Valve only support 12.04 to 13.04 until Mir gets binary drivers for the green and red teams GPUs?
          13.10 has an Xorg fallback, so the binary drivers will be fine for that. It's getting taken out in 14.04, though.

Comment

Proprietary drivers will fall back to xorg, and even if they didn't there wouldn't be a performance penalty in 13.10 for gamers since fullscreen 3d game windows bypass the xserver anyway. (and I'm not sure what difference you are talking about with video production)

Comment

if you look around Steam for Linux you will see a lot of new Games Now say Supports Ubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 14 15 some even go by the kernel Linux 2.4 or newer the full mir ubuntu will not be tell Ubuntu 14.10 any ways so there is 100% no point in Valve supporting Mir at all or even Wayland as games will run fine on Xwayland once it gets fully coded

Ubuntu 13.10 will be Xmir not Mir

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
                The advancement of Mir is incredible. Keep going Canonical! The glorious Canonical devs do what they do best: win!
                with people like you supporting them how can't they i bet you lick the s*** of there shoes

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$
                  You can't argue with facts. Mir development speed is phenomenal. And since Ubuntu is the only viable Linux distro of course I want to see them winning.
                  I admit i havent been kepping track of any of them, but reading the titles and looking from afar, i also have the feeling that mir is progressing quite fast.
                  I'll still stick with wayland all the way, though. I dont like ubuntu's idea and they dont seem to be changing it any time soon.

Comment

No, they won't be using Mir in 13.10, they'll use XMir, which is the same X.org, just also with an additional layer on it. They'll use Mir only in 14.04 once it gets the ability to actually run something. As for Steam, they will keep supporting X.org, because all the games run on X.org and will continue doing so for a while.

Originally posted by ashkbajw View Post
                    I admit i havent been kepping track of any of them, but reading the titles and looking from afar, i also have the feeling that mir is progressing quite fast.
                    Not really. They're working on minor things, marketing them as major advancements. They still don't have the fullscreen optimisations they were talking about for quite a while now...

Comment

Working...
                    X