Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features Still Being Sought By Open-Source AMD Users

Phoronix: Features Still Being Sought By Open-Source AMD Users

While the open-source AMD Radeon Linux graphics driver now has support for the latest graphics cards, there's finally UVD video decoding, and the Linux 3.11 kernel brings dynamic power management, there's still features being desired by those using this open-source Linux graphics driver on ATI/AMD GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Being able to have sound HDMI audio sounds pretty basic and important.

The OpenCL stuff does not sound very important.
    Only in the most recent versions of OpenGL is being able to work with OpenCL convenient.
    Only the newest series and upcoming series are being optimized for OpenCL/CUDA/DirectCompute operations.

The open source developers might get the most out of things by for now focussing on the x86 OpenCL implementation and tests for now.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      Being able to have sound HDMI audio sounds pretty basic and important.

The OpenCL stuff does not sound very important.
      Only in the most recent versions of OpenGL is being able to work with OpenCL convenient.
      Only the newest series and upcoming series are being optimized for OpenCL/CUDA/DirectCompute operations.

The open source developers might get the most out of things by for now focussing on the x86 OpenCL implementation and tests for now.
      you can have HDMI sound on some cards you just have to turn it on and change a few things

Comment

Hi.

For me, I use my apu as a mediacenter, with XBMC, so HDMI sound prefably bitstreaming. And an extended UVD with support for hardware mpg2/4 decoding.

Else increased opengl and cl support is important.

Kind regards
        Brut.

Comment

Support for older cards

Haven't heard anything about support for older cards. Have a 4 year old HD3470, which can still cope well with most of the stuff I do (light gaming, css3, webgl)

Comment

Hi.

For me, I use my apu as a mediacenter, with XBMC, so HDMI sound prefably bitstreaming. And an extended UVD with support for hardware mpg2/4 decoding.

Else increased opengl and cl support is important.

Kind regards
            Brut.

Comment

My wishlist:
              • ECC support for compute on Tahiti
              • DisplayPort Multi-Streaming (as you can finally buy MST hubs after years of waiting)
              • UVD on RS780

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                My wishlist:
                • ECC support for compute on Tahiti
                • DisplayPort Multi-Streaming (as you can finally buy MST hubs after years of waiting)
                • UVD on RS780
                you don't even want to see my wishlist for OpenSource AMD drivers

Comment

Originally posted by matzipan View Post
                  Haven't heard anything about support for older cards. Have a 4 year old HD3470, which can still cope well with most of the stuff I do (light gaming, css3, webgl)
                  What are you missing? Support for r6xx GPUs is still maintained, they support everything that can be supported. (Except for UVD maybe, but I guess that is unlikely to happen for that HW generation. It doesn't work that well under Windows either.)
                  Last edited by brent; 14 August 2013, 09:52 AM.

Comment

IIRC, a couple of things are still unsupported on older GPUs (and may not ever be) like tesselation/TruForm, second GPU on 3870x2 and some other things I can't remember right now. But nothing terribly important except for UVD.

Comment

Working...
                    X