Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

Phoronix: Ubuntu Edge At $11M With Less Than Three Days Left

There's only two and a half days left to Canonical's Ubuntu Edge crowd-funding campaign for building a high-end smart-phone running Ubuntu. Unfortunately, the campaign is still about twenty million dollars short of its $32M goal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The funny thing is that there are still some delusional fanboys that post comments like "They can still make it!". Don't know if I should laugh or cry at this level of fanboyism.

Comment

This campaign isnt going to reach it's goal, but I suspect Shuttleworth will fork up the money to begin production anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        The funny thing is that there are still some delusional fanboys that post comments like "They can still make it!". Don't know if I should laugh or cry at this level of fanboyism.
        because they can
        because all that has to happen is shuttleworth fund the rest himself(which would result in a net profit gain after indiegogo takes their cut)
        you realize how much shuttleworth is worth, right?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          because they can
          because all that has to happen is shuttleworth fund the rest himself(which would result in a net profit gain after indiegogo takes their cut)
          you realize how much shuttleworth is worth, right?
          Yeah to bad he already said during the reddit IAMA that he won't do it since it would totally miss the point of the campaign. So it's just delusional fanboys being totally irrational as always.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Yeah to bad he already said during the reddit IAMA that he won't do it since it would totally miss the point of the campaign.
            shuttleworth has never been known to lie
            ever

Comment

Oh it's still possible, but only if some big players jump in and buy the crap out of it.

Also if they extend the campaign by a month or two they could make it.

Comment

They would have to spend 20mill in advertizing before this campaign would it it's goal. Or they can just let it expire and Shuttleworth can foot the bill. I suspect the latter is what will happen. I have no doubt this product will be made one way or another.

Comment

Let's check the math here. As of this post, they are at $11,418,993. That leaves $20,581,007. There are 65 hours left. That means they need to get at least $316,630.88/hour, or 456 phones/hour, on average. That is about 1 phone every 8 seconds, if my math is correct.

Even if we assume all of the enterprise kits are sold (1 of 50 has been sold so far), they still have to make an additional $16,661,007, or 368 phones/hour.

By comparison, they made about $7 million in their first week. Even if we assume they all sold at $600, that is still less than 70 phones/hour, less than 1/6 what they need.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
                    Oh it's still possible, but only if some big players jump in and buy the crap out of it.

Also if they extend the campaign by a month or two they could make it.
                    Yeah which is totally makes sense to put millions into a failed campagign which wasn't successful on its own. If something fails it there's usually a reason for it. Extending it for 2 months just means people have to wait even longer for their unfinished product with unknown qualities, which makes it even more unlikely that people will back it.
                    Last edited by blackout23; 19 August 2013, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X