Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.12 Enables Haswell's Iris eLLC Cache Support

Phoronix: Linux 3.12 Enables Haswell's Iris eLLC Cache Support

The Intel Haswell processors with Iris Pro 5200 "GT3e" graphics sports 128MB of embedded DRAM for maximizing the Intel graphics performance. With the Linux 3.12 kernel, this "eLLC cache" is being enabled in full plus other Intel DRM driver changes for benefiting Intel Linux customers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That is useless if I can't build desktop PC with such GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
      That is useless if I can't build desktop PC with such GPU.
      You're not supposed to build a desktop PC with Iris o_O Iris is meant to be an extra bump for mobile
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        You're not supposed to build a desktop PC with Iris o_O Iris is meant to be an extra bump for mobile
        There is 4570R with GT3e, but it is OEM only. GT3e would be perfect GPU for causal gamer as hardcore one would use discrete GPU.

Comment

Nice timing; i'm about to splurge on a custom-built Haswell notebook complete with Iris Pro graphics soon now that my current 5 yr old notebook is starting to show signs of aging.

Will probably wait for distributions like Fedora, OpenSUSE and Mageia to pick up kernel v3.12 before purchasing one so that I can take advantage of the support right out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Unavailability of GT3e is also good thing because I won't waste more time playing stupid games and there is higher level of competition on market as AMD can sell more APUs and AMD/NVIDIA can sell more discrete GPUs.

Comment

Working...
            X