Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Phoronix: Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

In an interesting change of events, the mainline Intel Linux graphics driver has reverted the patch to support XMir -- the X11 compatibility layer for the Mir Display Server in Ubuntu Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not sure why they would do this, but then again I'm not sure what this means either.

When I get a new Intel only PC, will it mean that XMir won't work at all?

Comment

Score!

Intel has clearly chosen Linux over Ubuntu.

Canonical, you are welcome to come back to the Linux fold any time. But if you want to continue to build yourselves into a walled garden, then you need to take responsibility and care of every single one of your own plants and trees and shrubs within your own walled off garden. Don't expect us to come in and be your slave laborers.

Comment

Not getting my money then...

I guess Intel doesn't want my money. Only the future can tell on which display server ( Wayland, Mir, X?) will become the default Intel has just told the Ubuntu community, don't buy Intel video hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by homerhomer View Post
          I guess Intel doesn't want my money. Only the future can tell on which display server ( Wayland, Mir, X?) will become the default Intel has just told the Ubuntu community, don't buy Intel video hardware.
          Not really... Mir is an Ubuntu-only solution. If Canonical wants to say 'screw you, we're doing our own thing' to the community, then they can be the ones to take on the maintenance burden for all the pieces to work on their Ubuntu-only solution.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by homerhomer View Post
            What are you going to do then, buy AMD CPUs? Ahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
              When I get a new Intel only PC, will it mean that XMir won't work at all?
              It means that if Canonical wants to do Mir, then Canonical needs to hire its own driver developer who will maintain Mir patches to Intel drivers within the Ubuntu repositories.

I think this is a good thing. Canonical can be free all they want to do what Canonical wants to do. But they need to do all of the extra work as well then. They need to hire an AMD driver developer who will maintain patches within the Ubuntu repositories, they need to hire other developers who will maintain other Ubuntu-specific things as well.

Consider the other well known walled-gardens out there:
              Google has its own developers for Android who develop and maintain Android-specific things.
              Apple has its own developers for MacOS.

Canonical wants to have a walled garden but then steal from us. I say BS. If they're a community player, then they need to help the community. But they have virtually never helped out the community in the past with general-use patches. But now! Now they are more than happy to submit patches to this project, that driver group, so that their pet Mir is supported and maintained........ by someone else. That's just wrong.

Now maybe.... MAYBE if Canonical did in years past make it a policy be heavy contributors all over the place, and then years they come up with Mir and want to have their patches submitted. Well, at least you have been a part of the team.

But for right now? You didn't put in on this, Canonical. All you do is take take take take take take take take take. And expect everybody else to do the heavy lifting.
              Last edited by halfmanhalfamazing; 07 September 2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I find this move to be quite strange.

AFAIK, most Ubuntu-preinstalled PC sold around the world (eg. more than 1000 Dell shops in China) come with Intel hardware.
                One could think that the business logic for Intel would be to ensure that the future default display server of Ubuntu is fully compatible with their driver.

It's not like RedHat or other contributors of the free graphic stack. Intel has commercial reasons ($$$) to support Ubuntu.

Evidently, there was an internal debate at Intel (the patch was fine and it's suddenly worth reverting).
                I would like to know what has changed in the last three days. And what level is the "Management" who took this decision.
                Last edited by Malizor; 07 September 2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  If Canonical wants to say 'screw you, we're doing our own thing' to the community, then they can be the ones to take on the maintenance burden for all the pieces to work on their Ubuntu-only solution.
                  Exactly.

They didn't put in much, but they expect to get a lot out.

Nope. As far as I'm concerned, they're thieves.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                    What are you going to do then, buy AMD CPUs? Ahahahah
                    Nice trolling attempt, but XMir has nothing to do with CPUs. And for your information, AMD CPUs are a lot more competetive on the GNU/Linux platform.

Comment

Working...
                    X