Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.2 Brings A Couple Of Changes

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.2 Brings A Couple Of Changes

The latest bi-weekly Wine development release, Wine 1.7.2, is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm waiting since years that Dungeon Keeper Gold finally works with WINE. :/

Comment

We should constantly report issues on wine to their database. I am using playonlinux dont know how wine really works. They don't accept playonlinux so my reports are not valid. But I definitely have issues on games that I have tried. But they have started in many cases so with little tuning they might work well.

Comment

Originally posted by deri View Post
        We should constantly report issues on wine to their database. I am using playonlinux dont know how wine really works. They don't accept playonlinux so my reports are not valid. But I definitely have issues on games that I have tried. But they have started in many cases so with little tuning they might work well.
        Playonlinux isn't valid since it mish-mashes wine versions and in some cases installs / runs programs with custom settings. It'd be like you ripping apart your /etc/ folder and then complaining to Fedora/Ubuntu/SUSE/Arch/etc that you broke your install. And yes, Crossover does the same thing, but its different because they KNOW the wine codebase and keep track of changed / custom settings, also THEY are upstream (In my above example they would BE the Fedora/Ubuntu/SUSE/etc developers, not the end-user)
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

After all these years and it still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            Playonlinux isn't valid since it mish-mashes wine versions and in some cases installs / runs programs with custom settings. It'd be like you ripping apart your /etc/ folder and then complaining to Fedora/Ubuntu/SUSE/Arch/etc that you broke your install. And yes, Crossover does the same thing, but its different because they KNOW the wine codebase and keep track of changed / custom settings, also THEY are upstream (In my above example they would BE the Fedora/Ubuntu/SUSE/etc developers, not the end-user)
            I wouldnt dramatize it that much Wine OOB just doesnt work you have to change something and yes main reason why Wine devs discards Playonlinux bug reports because most/always? of time POL uses really old Wine version
            Last edited by Ramiliez; 13 September 2013, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Applying playonlinux using newer version of wine is not valid argument. IT's really easy. The most time is taken by your internet provider downloading files if you don't have them.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                After all these years and it still sucks.
                Works For Me (TM)
                Well, it used to, but after your tremendously helpful/insightful comment, I'm not going to use it anymore. Thanks for showing us the light!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  Works For Me (TM)
                  Well, it used to, but after your tremendously helpful/insightful comment, I'm not going to use it anymore. Thanks for showing us the light!
                  Everytime I've needed to run a Windows application it has not worked. And no, I don't want to use winetricks and install some dlls, because if it doesn't work out of the box I would rather install a copy of Windows XP under Virtualbox or qemu. And since I'm not Richard Stallman, I don't hate closed source per se unless it is abusive or bloated like the latest Windows versions.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                    Everytime I've needed to run a Windows application it has not worked. And no, I don't want to use winetricks and install some dlls, because if it doesn't work out of the box I would rather install a copy of Windows XP under Virtualbox or qemu. And since I'm not Richard Stallman, I don't hate closed source per se unless it is abusive or bloated like the latest Windows versions.
                    LOL. So to recap; Because you are unwilling to spend (literally) 1 minute, maybe two; installing various MS runtime(s), DLLs, Fonts and components that nearly all windows applications are going to require (via winetricks), In your mind it is Wine that is broken? LOL. ... Is your brain broken?

I think you have unrealistic / impractical expectations of the project. Wine Can't ship MS DLLs/runtime/etc and the only reason Wine doesn't work for you is because you won't install stuff that apps are going to need... May i ask; What do you do in Windows when you have to manually install something?? (or any other OS for that matter...because in all of them, you bump into situations where XYZ app does not run OOTB or needs something extra...it's not very uncommon.)...

EDIT: I'd also like to add; Wine works just great over here. I can run any of the programs that i want, no problem..

Comment

Working...
                    X