Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Releases FusedOS Operating System

Phoronix: IBM Releases FusedOS Operating System

Just days after a brand new cloud operating system was released, IBM is out with a new operating system of its own. FusedOS is IBM's new research project that's now an open-source general purpose OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh wow, let me fire up the Blue Gene in the basement!

Comment

When I saw "IBM" and "general purpose" I thought "OS/3"

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        Oh wow, let me fire up the Blue Gene in the basement!
        Exactly, the news implied half of Phoronix aren't running supercomputers in their basements :P

Comment

This and that other "virtual guest OS" make me start to think about Xinu (Xinu Is Not Unix) that popped up years ago. Basically Xinu wasn't so much an OS as an "application hardware support layer" - it gave your application the stuff it needed to run right on hardware. Except that these days with virtualization, your application isn't so much sitting on hardware as it is on a VM.

So I believe we're now seeing multiple stabs at the Xinu-on-VM approach, and it will be interesting to see what sugars out. It will also be interesting to see what gets pushed back into the hypervisor, as the guests simplify.

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
            This and that other "virtual guest OS" make me start to think about Xinu (Xinu Is Not Unix) that popped up years ago. Basically Xinu wasn't so much an OS as an "application hardware support layer" - it gave your application the stuff it needed to run right on hardware. Except that these days with virtualization, your application isn't so much sitting on hardware as it is on a VM.

So I believe we're now seeing multiple stabs at the Xinu-on-VM approach, and it will be interesting to see what sugars out. It will also be interesting to see what gets pushed back into the hypervisor, as the guests simplify.
            I studied Xinu in an operating systems intro class waaaay back in the early 80s when virtualization was pretty much relegated to IBM mainframes and it was just a primitive OS that provided rather basic services to what was running above it. Pretty interesting concepts there and well worth revisiting!

Comment

Working...
            X