Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts A Horde Of New 3D GPU Documentation

Phoronix: AMD Posts A Horde Of New 3D GPU Documentation

While AMD has published open-source Radeon GPU driver code for modern graphics processors up through the latest Sea Islands parts, they have fallen behind on publishing 3D GPU programming specifications and programming guides for the more modern hardware. Fortunately, they have now caught up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Best news I've heard today.

I look forward to what the next few months bring.

Comment

Alright! Let the battle begin of who publishes their docs faster - AMD or nVidia? ;-D

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        Alright! Let the battle begin of who publishes their docs faster - AMD or nVidia? ;-D
        I bet AMD.
        NVIDIA once declared they would contribute compiler code to llvm and ... you know

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
          I bet AMD.
          NVIDIA once declared they would contribute compiler code to llvm and ... you know
          Me too, AMD has a good head start also. :-)

Comment

What a sweet start into the day. Evergreen also... good. I use it on a dedicated card. And quite a bunch of APUs basically use Evergreen tech inside.
            Sad that I do not have a screenshot from http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ years ago. It was totally in autumn colours (red, orange, yellow). Now it looks like spring with all the green and only few blossoms of colour inbetween.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              What a sweet start into the day. Evergreen also... good. I use it on a dedicated card. And quite a bunch of APUs basically use Evergreen tech inside.
              Sad that I do not have a screenshot from http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ years ago. It was totally in autumn colours (red, orange, yellow). Now it looks like spring with all the green and only few blossoms of colour inbetween.
              Adarion, you can feel like getting into a Delorean and take that screenshot today... Check this out (Way Back Machine): http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...RadeonFeature/

Comment

I think I will throw some money on AMD again. Maybe even rethink the MiniITX server from ATOM to Fusion...

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post
                  I think I will throw some money on AMD again. Maybe even rethink the MiniITX server from ATOM to Fusion...
                  I've got a MiniITX Llano at home (A6-3500, 45-65w?) that's been running for ~2 years, and it's been very reliable. It's currently running MythBuntu with an HDMI output carrying video/audio to the receiver and has been running the open-source radeon drivers since it was built. With DPM and UVD working, this machine is silent and keeps up with everything I ask of it (although I've been thinking of upgrading from a single to a dual tuner)... I can only imagine how well Trinity/Richland would perform.

Although if you were already looking at Atom, I'm assuming you're looking for something even lower power yet (Jaguar?). I've been thinking of something similar for my next NAS upgrade (the current Phenom II 720 is definitely overkill).

Comment

Start encrypting your NAS drives with several chained algorithms, like AES->Blowfish->GOST->3DES and it's no longer overkill

Comment

Working...
                    X