Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Intentionally Crippled Their HDMI Adapters

Phoronix: AMD Intentionally Crippled Their HDMI Adapters

For some AMD Radeon graphics cards when using the Catalyst driver, the HDMI audio support isn't enabled unless using the simple DVI to HDMI adapter included with the graphics card itself... If you use another DVI-to-HDMI adapter, it won't work with Catalyst. AMD intentionally implemented checks within their closed-source driver to prevent other adapters from being used, even though they will work just fine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Closed source drivers sucks!

And reasons for use open source don't stop...

Comment

Illegal

This ought to be illegal.
      This is anti-competitive behavior.
      I think AMD should be fined for this.

Comment

Maybe some sort of hdcp requirement?

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
          I was thinking about that too.
          At least this would prevent the use of adapters which circumvent/drop HDCP encryption.
          Not that it is nice thing to do...

Comment

me only trust open source.

amd needs to ditch the apple way already.

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
              And reasons for use open source don't stop...
              It's great to hear that You can't trust a binary-only driver. I'm also interested what else it's hiding.
              RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Oh AMD, you are so NASTY!

I "used" to be an AMD fan because of their openness to OSS. Si i've had some AMD stuff recently to back that up. However, after the EXTREMELY horrible experience in attaching 2 monitors and 1 beamer to a 6870 card and days of frustration later i decided to completely ditch AMD for their crapiness drivers (yes, even on windows the mentioned setup was full with bugs!).

I won't discard AMD "forever", but for now and likely the coming years i'm completely done with their crap. That might change once the OSS support for the modern cards is fully up to par with catalyst (minus the intentional drm crap like this post)

Comment

nasty!
                  This is clearly anti-consumer, anti-competitive and should be outlawed.
                  The shithead that came up with this / was responsible for putting it in, for the decision to put it in should be in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                    That is also the only sensible thing I can think of for imposing the restrictions.

(Not that I am too bothered by it; my monitor only supports DVI and VGA out, so no biggie for now)

Comment

Working...
                    X