Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server GLX Rewrite Code Published

Phoronix: X.Org Server GLX Rewrite Code Published

Red Hat's Adam Jackson has volleyed his GLX rewrite patch series onto the X.Org developers' list to solicit feedback and testing on his latest project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it done just for code clarity and quality reasons or is there a high chance that this will make the OpenGL performance higher?

Comment

Would be great to have that available for xorg 1.15. Let's hope so.
      For the next year we should be talking about Wayland, and not about a Xorg patch.
      Last edited by edoantonioco; 22 October 2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

EGL

I thought GLX was going to be trashed and EGL was the glorious future?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
          I thought GLX was going to be trashed and EGL was the glorious future?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE5MTU
          EGL for new display managers (albeit you can use it on top of X just fine), X is so fundamentally bound to the GLX api internally though that X without it would be a complete rewrite.

Comment

I hope at some point an XCB based GLX would be available. I know it's not gonna happen, but one could dream.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
              Is it done just for code clarity and quality reasons or is there a high chance that this will make the OpenGL performance higher?
              If I understand the mailing list post correctly, it's a code simplification for a code path you aren't using anyway: indirect rendering. It's unlikely that you'll notice the change. Maybe your xorg binary will get a little smaller, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                I think that dri3 implementation will be a lot easier with this, making it possible to land in 1.15?
                It was talked in some XDC2013 video, don't remember with one.
                RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

One problem we had was that libgl depended on GLX which in turn depends on X.
                  That made Wayland have to use egl and cannot use libgl since it depends on GLX.

libgl needs to break free from GLX.

Is this done yet?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    One problem we had was that libgl depended on GLX which in turn depends on X.
                    That made Wayland have to use egl and cannot use libgl since it depends on GLX.

libgl needs to break free from GLX.

Is this done yet?
                    With new OpenGL abi it should be possible.
                    More information at http://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2013/XDC2013AndyRitgerVendorNeutralOpenGL/

glx rewrite:
                    More information at http://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2013/XDC2013AdamJacksonGLXRewrite/

RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Working...
                    X