Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Releases A Bit More Open GPU Documentation

Phoronix: NVIDIA Releases A Bit More Open GPU Documentation

Last month NVIDIA announced they would begin providing open-source GPU documentation and ultimately supporting the reverse-engineered open-source Nouveau graphics driver project for their Linux desktop customers. NVIDIA released some basic documentation in that initial push and now they have followed up with a tiny bit more documentation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, I missed the other news item about that.
    That's exciting, it may not be the full disclosure that AMD/ATI originally did but it's a start.
    I always wondered how long it would take nvidia to follow suit.
    Now all I have to wait for is the mobile GPU world!

Comment

Good job nVidia, please continue!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Good job nVidia, please continue!
        Yes, if they keep this up, I might have to consider two vendors when I get my next graphics card.

Comment

Good on them, going as far as revealing a possible mind teaser in their own software. +1 on nVidia rep.

Comment

Don't get the excitement. They've just posted docs on a single register. So assuming they continue their commitment, we might see a complete register spec in about... 10 years?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              Don't get the excitement. They've just posted docs on a single register. So assuming they continue their commitment, we might see a complete register spec in about... 10 years?
              Hey, that's infinitely better than getting it never!

Comment

I'm cynically guessing that this might be the strategy here. I really hope I'm wrong.

Opinion on some online forums has already swung from "AMD good, Nvidia bad" to "Both good, both release docs", and "my next card will be Nvidia because of the docs".

I welcome the change and sincerely hope that they release all the docs. But if they want to reach the "Both good, both release docs", they should release as much as AMD and write as much Mesa and kernel DRM code as the AMD folks.

Comment

pretty cool stuff happening in Linux this year ey.

Comment

Don't get the excitement. They've just posted docs on a single register.
                    It may be just a single register, but it's about exactly the kind of stuff the nouveau devs need. Common stuff, they figure out eventually. But chipset-specific errata, that's hard.

BTW, if you check the nouveau mailing list, Nvidia released other info as well, about how to make MSI reliably work. Again the same kind of chipset-specific stuff that's not so easy to figure out.

Comment

Working...
                    X