Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 4.9 Will Make Compilers More Exciting In 2014

Phoronix: GCC 4.9 Will Make Compilers More Exciting In 2014

GCC 4.9 will likely not be released until later in H1'2014, but already a lot of compiler changes have been queued up to make this next major release of the GNU Compiler Collection exciting for developers and also benefiting users of the generated binaries...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope GCC will remain competitive against the upcomer LLVM.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      I hope GCC will remain competitive against the upcomer LLVM.
      It seems the general idea is to have something to finally compete with GCC, and I hope the two can co-exist for quite a while. I don't think there will end up being a decisive winner, and having both around has improved the quality of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
        and having both around has improved the quality of each other.
        No, it seems to be a case of one-way leaching(parasitism) so far rather than symbiosis.

Comment

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
          No, it seems to be a case of one-way leaching(parasitism) so far rather than symbiosis.
          Parasitism is a form of symbiosis. The word you're looking for is mutualism.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Correct, thanks you.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Isn't that characteristic of the open-source community in general? I have to agree that there is a degree of NIH in some projects, no need to point the finger, large projects do tend to benefit from the work done in other software, that have a liberal license of course. GCC and LLVM are structured completely different and have different paradigms so it's difficult to say one leeches from the other.

Comment

Working...
              X