Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse SWT Now Using GTK3 By Default

Phoronix: Eclipse SWT Now Using GTK3 By Default

With a commit made on Friday, Eclipse's SWT platform is now using GTK 3.x by default over GTK 2.x...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Eclipse Wayland ready?

Does that means that Eclipse can run on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by rxonda View Post
      Does that means that Eclipse can run on Wayland?
      IMO no because Eclipse is a Java app and Java must support Wayland too, but it makes future Eclipse support for Wayland a lot easier.

Regardless it still good news.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        IMO no because Eclipse is a Java app and Java must support Wayland too, but it makes future Eclipse support for Wayland a lot easier.
        You know, that Java even runs on systems without any display server at all, don't you? I'm not an expert on SWT (alway preferred Swing and now JavaFX 2) but afaik it's just a wrapper to native windowing tools/libs/etc., so (at least in theory) that should work just fine.

Comment

Regardless it still good news.
          Well, Im not sure, but I think you're half write.
          Indeed if java supports Wayland, theoretically every java app will run on wayland too. But, Eclipse lies down on SWT toolkit and this toolkit uses native code to run GUI components.
          If SWT does not provide a GTK3 (or Qt 5.2) version, I think it will not be possible to run on wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
            You know, that Java even runs on systems without any display server at all, don't you? I'm not an expert on SWT (alway preferred Swing and now JavaFX 2) but afaik it's just a wrapper to native windowing tools/libs/etc., so (at least in theory) that should work just fine.
            Java being able to run without any display server and being able to run on a given server are different things.
            Java runs on X11 because it has explicit support for it, not because Java is platform independent. And to support Wayland it also has to get support for it.. Java runs on specific APIs, not on magic.

Comment

Java being able to run without any display server and being able to run on a given server are different things.
              Java runs on X11 because it has explicit support for it, not because Java is platform independent. And to support Wayland it also has to get support for it.. Java runs on specific APIs, not on magic.
              Really? You would think the only thing in java that needs a supported display system was SWING?

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                Really? You would think the only thing in java that needs a supported display system was SWING?
                What are you trying to say? I didn't even mention swing.

Comment

What are you trying to say? I didn't even mention swing.
                  That you would think the only part of java needing "wayland support" was java swing, and if you didn't use it you would be fine? Java already runs without a display system period, so surely just having toolkit support is all that you want?

Comment

Originally posted by n3wu53r View Post
                    That you would think the only part of java needing "wayland support" was java swing, and if you didn't use it you would be fine? Java already runs without a display system period, so surely just having toolkit support is all that you want?
                    We're talking about Java (SWT/Eclipse) being able to display/run on Wayland, not whether a GUI-less java app can run on a computer with Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X