Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oibaf's Mesa 10.0 Comes To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy

Phoronix: Oibaf's Mesa 10.0 Comes To Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy

For those not comfortable in building Mesa and other open-source Linux graphics driver packages from source, the popular "Oibaf PPA" was updated this morning and it brings Mesa 10.0 Git to Ubuntu 13.10, 13.04, 12.10, and 12.04 LTS distributions. There's also other newer graphics packages there too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about llvm? LLVM 3.4 is required for compute support...
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Good work, but I prefer to build each part on my own (mesa and driver).
      This is because at the moment Mesa 9.1.7 and xf86-video-intel-2.99.904 work at best regarding the GPU hang issues.
      Unfortunately no PPA delivers that combination.
      So if you are having problems with Intel GPU hangs in Source-Engine games, try the combination above

Comment

I added this ppa, but I still get no upgrades to version 10.0. Only 9.2.1 is available.

My card is radeon 4570, ubuntu 13.10, 3.12 kernel, any ideas what might be wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by ogyct View Post
          I added this ppa, but I still get no upgrades to version 10.0. Only 9.2.1 is available.

My card is radeon 4570, ubuntu 13.10, 3.12 kernel, any ideas what might be wrong?
          It's in the PPA https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...s_filter=saucy
          Did you ran the following ?

sudo add-apt-repository ppaibaf/graphics-drivers
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get upgrade

Should everything in place. If not, ask in Oibufs phoronix thread maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
            It's in the PPA https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...s_filter=saucy
            Did you ran the following ?

sudo add-apt-repository ppaibaf/graphics-drivers
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get upgrade

Should everything in place. If not, ask in Oibufs phoronix thread maybe.
            oh my goodness, It seems like I've been importing some other ppa. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Wow, I should report, that I finally get 60 fps on half life 2 deathmatch on medium settings, which is a big surprise for open source drivers. 3.12 kernel + mesa 10.0 together do a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                What about llvm? LLVM 3.4 is required for compute support...
                I'm also curious about this, and i couldn't find the information anywhere on openbenchmarking.com.

I suspect he's still on 3.3, though, since it doesn't look like oibaf pulls it in and he didn't specifically mention it. I also think that's probably holding him back from GL3 support since i think the MSAA support is only in new LLVM, and probably lots of other fixes too, but i'm not 100% certain how big of a deal it is.

On another note, Marek has now posted patches adding both UBO and TBO support to SI, so it looks like when Mesa 10.0 is released the new driver will have virtually caught up with r600g in GL3.1/extension support. Now they just have to enable all the hardware features like HyperZ and fix the performance, and it will be in good shape.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 01 November 2013, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Nice to see an article about my PPA, which is also used on official phoronix tests!

Comment

About LLVM 3.4: LLVM SVN API changes frequently and I should backport it every day in the PPA or mesa could fail to build. The official LLVM PPA unfortunately is not on launchpad, otherwise I could just add a dependency against it and have LLVM snapshots updated every day.

If someone ask LLVM devs to move their PPA on launchpad I could easily provide mesa compiled against LLVM SVN.

Comment

Working...
                    X