Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Trying Out Xfce Over GNOME By Default

Phoronix: Debian Trying Out Xfce Over GNOME By Default

While Debian GNU/kFreeBSD has used Xfce as its default desktop environment and prior to 7.0 Wheezy they experimented with Xfce by default for Debian GNU/Linux, it's being tried out once again...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Debian developers will rely upon Popcorn package statistics
    It's PopCon, for Popularity Contest, not popcorn, lol

Comment

One should also mention that the latest Gnome3 release in debian depends on systemd.
      Since Debian has yet to decide on a modern init system, there is really not a lot of choice here to keep Gnome3 the default atm.

Comment

gnome-session-flashback

They could use gnome-session-flashback instead of Xfce, if they want something more like GNOME 2.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          They could use gnome-session-flashback instead of Xfce, if they want something more like GNOME 2.
          They don't want something more like Gnome2, they want something that both 1. is stable and 2. doesn't require systemd while they figure out which init system they are going with in the future.

I'm hoping they use Cinnamon as a DE to get the Gnome compatibility without the systemd requirements and OpenRC + eudev on the init/services side of things.
          I think that would be the best combination of stuff to go for, personally.

Comment

Why don't pick up mate?. I was trying on Linux Mint 13 Mate 1.2.1 with compiz in virtualbox and is so nice... xfce filemanager is so ugly and shity*

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
              Why don't pick up mate?. I was trying on Linux Mint 13 Mate 1.2.1 with compiz in virtualbox and is so nice... xfce filemanager is so ugly and shity*
              XFCE's filemanager (and default text editor) are the only parts of it that are truly crappy, and both are easily replaceable. I know very little about MATE's development (all I know is its a fork of gnome 2) but it wouldn't surprise me if XFCE is more polished.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                They don't want something more like Gnome2, they want something that both 1. is stable and 2. doesn't require systemd while they figure out which init system they are going with in the future.

I'm hoping they use Cinnamon as a DE to get the Gnome compatibility without the systemd requirements and OpenRC + eudev on the init/services side of things.
                I think that would be the best combination of stuff to go for, personally.
                Cinnamon is a fork of GNOME 3. It doesn't magically have more or less requirements than GNOME 3.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: Debian Trying Out Xfce Over GNOME By Default

While Debian GNU/kFreeBSD has used Xfce as its default desktop environment and prior to 7.0 Wheezy they experimented with Xfce by default for Debian GNU/Linux, it's being tried out once again...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwNDE
                  Makes sense. Xfce is lightweight and provides a simple, acceptable default without ridiculous dependencies.

Everyone can install KDE/GNOME/E17 or whatever they want later.

Comment

What a farce. Lets change the default desktop without looking at the stats, but then offer to use the stats later to determine if it was a good choice. Thanks for the goodwill Debian.

Comment

Working...
                    X