Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-BSD 10 To Ship GNOME 3, Mate, Cinnamon

Phoronix: PC-BSD 10 To Ship GNOME 3, Mate, Cinnamon

Besides FreeBSD 10.0 Beta 4 being out, so is the latest update to the FreeBSD-derived PC-BSD operating system. Besides being based off the FreeBSD 10.0 packages and features, interesting about this PC-BSD update is the GNOME 2 desktop has finally been replaced by GNOME 3, MATE, and Cinnamon desktop alternatives...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PC-BSD is a pretty solid OS, considering its a BSD based system. It's KDE desktop defaults are also top notch and IMO, the best out-of-the-box default KDE desktop I've seen/tried.

Comment

I can confirm that both Gnome Shell (3.6) works without any bugs and using the port of the open source Radeon driver on my 6870 provided me with a GUI that was tear free and a mostly artefact free experience (the same as radeon on Linux in my experience).

This release of PC-BSD is shaping up to be the best one so far.

Comment

I wonder if the compatibility layer has newer libraries such as libstdc 2.12, or does it come with the ones shipped with the original CentOS 6?

Comment

Doesn't GNOME 3+ depend on systemd-logind? I thought GNOME didn't work without systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by a2r-l View Post
            Doesn't GNOME 3+ depend on systemd-logind? I thought GNOME didn't work without systemd.
            Older version maybe? Or some severe porting.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Older version maybe? Or some severe porting.
              They use Gnome 3.6, which does not have crippled functionality without systemd-logind.

Comment

Originally posted by a2r-l View Post
                Only GDM does, as far as I know-- and PC-BSD uses PCDM, their own display manager, instead. GNOME 3.8 and 3.10 are both known to work on OpenBSD, and GNOME 3.8 seems to work on FreeBSD.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
                  Only GDM does, as far as I know-- and PC-BSD uses PCDM, their own display manager, instead. GNOME 3.8 and 3.10 are both known to work on OpenBSD with reduced features, and GNOME 3.8 seems to work on FreeBSD.
                  Fixed that for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X