Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Support Comes For Adaptive Vsync

Phoronix: Mesa Support Comes For Adaptive Vsync

Patches published for Mesa today are beginning to work on adaptive vsync support and eventually the GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some background from Valve-Nvidia presentation http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017850/ staring from 24:35

Comment

Looks like there are some mis-placed typo'd comments in the patch. Will wait for the merge on this one.

That said, it'll be nice to have some better vsync awareness in Mesa. Though if you're running less than 60fps on a 60hz monitor, you shouldn't see any tearing at all anyway.

Comment

Adaptive v-sync. aka, v-sync is turned off when fps < refresh rate.

I won't be using this. Screen tearing is way more annoying than loosing a few fps. And yes you will have screen tearing if v-sync is off and the fps is less than your refresh rate.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
          Screen tearing is way more annoying than loosing a few fps.
          30 fps is unbearable for me for a side-scroller or a rotating view? It?s only ok if there is little change between frames. I dislike tearing but it?s less of a problem for me. I think I read somewhere about some new tech where the monitor starts displaying a new frame only when the computer says it is ready, which I?d love to get? best of both worlds: no tearing, no FPS drop!

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            30 fps is unbearable for me for a side-scroller or a rotating view? It?s only ok if there is little change between frames. I dislike tearing but it?s less of a problem for me. I think I read somewhere about some new tech where the monitor starts displaying a new frame only when the computer says it is ready, which I?d love to get? best of both worlds: no tearing, no FPS drop!
            It's called G-Sync and has quite a lot of issues:
            - NVIDIA-only
            - no Linux support, and even less support in Free drivers
            - needs a specific monitor which is also very expensive for now (at least $400 with an expansion kit)

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
              That's NVIDIA G-Sync. It's currently only available as an expensive mod to a few monitors that works only when paired with NVIDIA GPUs (and - I assume - the proprietary driver).

Given some years this might be built-in to affordable monitors and might be available for Intel and AMD users, maybe even with the open drivers. It's not likely going to happen soon, though.

And no, tearing is not guaranteed at under 60 FPS. It's only guaranteed when your game's FPS is not a divisor/multiple of the monitor's refresh rate. The problem is that with a 60Hz monitor, that means you need to run at >= 60 FPS, 30, 20, etc. (at which point it's unplayable). V-sync will force the game to run at one of those rates (kinda; it might actually bounce between these rates if the frame time is varying widely with each frame, which can be even more annoying than a low but steady FPS). You can get 120Hz monitors today which help a bit since the next step after 60 for those is 40 (not 30), though that's still a noticeable drop. That's a good step in the right direction until G-sync becomes easily attainable.

Comment

Can we get triple buffering support in addition? It's a better solution in most cases in my opinion, at least for games that aren't too latency sensitive (in which case I wouldn't use adaptive VSync either)

Comment

RadeonPro calls this Dynamic V-sync.

Comment

Now what we need is Dynamic Framerate Control, where you can set a maximum framerate and it will never render more than that framerate. It's useful when you use DFC with Dynamic V-Sync.

Comment

Working...
                    X