Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Can Now Dual-Boot On Android Devices

Phoronix: Ubuntu Can Now Dual-Boot On Android Devices

Canonical has announced an early Christmas present for Ubuntu Touch fans in the form of support for dual-booting with Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bring It On, babies!

Comment

Interesting, but I don't get the point. Hasn't canonical failed on the smartphone business?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        Hasn't canonical failed on the smartphone business?
        Altough I do think their chances are slim, I don't see how they could have "failed" as they have not even entered the market yet. That should happen sometime next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
          Altough I do think their chances are slim, I don't see how they could have "failed" as they have not even entered the market yet. That should happen sometime next year.
          They haven't entered market because their public-fund didn't even reach one third of their goal. Now, while this may not mean anything, it may also mean everything ... it depends from how you look at it.

Keep in mind I use Ubuntu every day so I'm not against Canonical. I'm just trying to understand how is Mark spending his money.. I really can't stand the idea that in 2 years, after Canonical failing on making money on desktop, after failing making money on smarptones... Mark comes out saying: hey folks, we're going out of business!! Go back to Debian! I have just 2 milion dollars left, the amount needed to go on Mars one way ticket!

Comment

They haven't entered market because their public-fund didn't even reach one third of their goal.
            ...and the Ubuntu Touch operating system isn't even nearly ready for prime time. The goal was absurdly high for a crowd funded project and the phones were very expensive considering that you didn't even know what you would get. So yeah, I wouldn't read too much in to it.

I'm just trying to understand how is Mark spending his money..
            Well mobile market is worth a shot because it's relatively new and will only grow in coming years. Also the technologies between desktop, tablets and mobile are shared so the developement will not go to waste. I mean next generation laptops (that account to most of PCs anyway nowadays) are very similar to laptos, they have numerous sensors, touchscreens, 3g modems and such.

TI really can't stand the idea that in 2 years, after Canonical failing on making money on desktop, after failing making money on smarptones... Mark comes out saying: hey folks, we're going out of business!! Go back to Debian! I have just 2 milion dollars left, the amount needed to go on Mars one way ticket!
            Well they might as well focus on the sever market where they actually get their money and do desktop as a side business like Red Hat does. I don't see Canonical going anywhere considering how popular it's in the cloud/web market.

Comment

...Still no news on Ubuntu for Android, sigh.

As beautiful and innovative as I think Ubuntu Touch is, the best feature (or associated project) hasn't been mentioned since the AMA before the Ubuntu Edge failed...

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                They failed because they missed the optimal time to enter the market. For a small startup trying to enter a hugely competitive and volatile market, timing is essential (Jolla got that right). Anything they manage to do now will be overshadowed by at least Sailfish and Firefox OS, possibly also Tizen.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  They failed because they missed the optimal time to enter the market. For a small startup trying to enter a hugely competitive and volatile mhttp://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?92300-Ubuntu-Can-Now-Dual-Boot-On-Android-Devicesarket, timing is essential (Jolla got that right). Anything they manage to do now will be overshadowed by at least Sailfish and Firefox OS, possibly also Tizen.
                  People said similar things about Android (timing). I seem to recall not completely dissimilar discussions about Apple given that Blackberry had such a strangle on the smart phone market at the time.

There's ALWAYS room for someone offering a compelling experience and something new. Whether or not that's what Canonical inevitably delivers is up for discussion. Whether or not the opportunity exists is not. It's always there.

The other options you list might well beat them to offering up the next great alternative. Time will tell.

Comment

They haven't entered market because their public-fund didn't even reach one third of their goal. Now, while this may not mean anything, it may also mean everything ... it depends from how you look at it.

Keep in mind I use Ubuntu every day so I'm not against Canonical. I'm just trying to understand how is Mark spending his money.. I really can't stand the idea that in 2 years, after Canonical failing on making money on desktop, after failing making money on smarptones... Mark comes out saying: hey folks, we're going out of business!! Go back to Debian! I have just 2 milion dollars left, the amount needed to go on Mars one way ticket!
                    For someone who uses Ubuntu, you've missed out on the news that Canonical has a hardware partner now. :/

Comment

Working...
                    X