Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau 3.14 Gets New Acceleration, Still Lacking PM

Phoronix: Nouveau 3.14 Gets New Acceleration, Still Lacking PM

The Nouveau open-source NVIDIA kernel driver changes for the Linux 3.14 kernel are now known. The Nouveau changes are exciting in having hardware acceleration support for some new GPUs but is less exciting as it's yet another kernel release without proper dynamic power management / re-clocking support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Phoronix
    The overlay support includes YUYV support for the NV10 and video overlay support coming for the first time to the old NV04/NV05 hardware. The NV04 was the original Riva TNT and TNT2 graphics cards.
    Commit here and here in the userspace driver.

Please, the fact that it's nv10 and nv04 does not always imply it's for Riva TNT and TNT2. This could go all the way up to but not including nv50. Don't know about this case though.

Comment

Fuck you Nvidia. Release the damn documentation. Nobody ask you to do an open-source driver or to contribute to it like Intel does, but at least release the documentation.

Comment

For older NVIDIA GeForce GPUs is experimental re-clocking / power management support that's disabled by default and not always reliable
        That's not really true any more since Linux 3.13 changes AFAIK. I have a 8800 GT and it is no longer possible to re-clock the card, the command line arguments have been removed (nouveau.perflvl, etc) and it is now similar to Fermi/Kepler cards, you can't change the performance level unless you apply this commit:

Last time I tried it (early Linux 3.13) to change the performance level, it just hung my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Fuck you Nvidia. Release the damn documentation. Nobody ask you to do an open-source driver or to contribute to it like Intel does, but at least release the documentation.
          Nobody forces you to purchase an nVidia card for graphics processing.

Comment

Anyone knows how one could manually reclock under Nouveau?
            "/sys/class/drm/card0/device/performance_level" doesn't exist anymore on recent kernels.

Anyway thanks you Nouveau team! I just tried the daily ubuntu iso on my gt220 (3.13 + mesa 10.1), and beside reclocking everything else seems to work wonderfully.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
              Anyone knows how one could manually reclock under Nouveau?
              "/sys/class/drm/card0/device/performance_level" doesn't exist anymore on recent kernels.

Anyway thanks you Nouveau team! I just tried the daily ubuntu iso on my gt220 (3.13 + mesa 10.1), and beside reclocking everything else seems to work wonderfully.
              As I was saying above, you can't unless you patch your kernel. See here:

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                The nouveau devs have said many times already that documentation isn't even that big of a problem. Manpower is.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
                  As I was saying above, you can't unless you patch your kernel. See here:
                  https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71994
                  Thanks, totally missed your point.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    The nouveau devs have said many times already that documentation isn't even that big of a problem. Manpower is.
                    How can missing documentation can't be a big problem?
                    You lose so much time reverse engineering that it doesn't matter how much manpower you have, in my opinion.

I think they should stop being assholes and release it, or they care too much about their backdoors and want them to be available on Linux too.

Comment

Working...
                    X