Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SanDisk 64GB Serial ATA 3.0 SSD On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: SanDisk 64GB Serial ATA 3.0 SSD On Ubuntu Linux

Another day, another new disk drive review at Phoronix. After this week having already shared our Ubuntu Linux test results for the Kingston SSDNow V300, Western Digital WD10EZEX, and Samsung 840 EVO, the solid-state drive for review today is the SanDisk 64GB SDSSDP-064G-G25.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! Interesting to see SanDisk beat the EVO which gets good values in CrystalDiskMark.
    I know CDM is not very close to a real world scenario, but it would be nice to have something that compares relatively straightly to CDM. Bonnie++ should be rather comparabe right, and from what I understand you support it in PTS, so it would be awesome if you ran those tests as well in these benchmarks.

Anyway great to see more SSD benches, hopefully you'll have a possibility to try AData SX900 and maybe some crusial SSDs as well in the same test system.
    I'm too pisspoor to give donations, but at least I frequently missclick the ads

Comment

Originally posted by nilssab View Post
      Anyway great to see more SSD benches, hopefully you'll have a possibility to try AData SX900 and maybe some crusial SSDs as well in the same test system.
      Unlikely. I already have all the drives I needed for my new test farm systems so I don't intend to buy any more drives soon.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Unlikely. I already have all the drives I needed for my new test farm systems so I don't intend to buy any more drives soon.
        roger that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Ah. I was going to ask what these reviews were in aid of. There's nothing very Linux-centric about SSD reviews and others (e.g. Anand) can do much more extensive and informative reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
            Ah. I was going to ask what these reviews were in aid of. There's nothing very Linux-centric about SSD reviews and others (e.g. Anand) can do much more extensive and informative reviews.
            Just some Linux benchmarks to share after buying parts for ~six new systems in the automated test farm.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

My trusty, old, Crucial M4 256GB. Not the fastest, but good enough and reliable.

http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...FO-1401244PL57

Comment

Michael, I leave about ~20% unformatted on my SSDs as I heard this helps speed and longevity. Did you do the same?

Comment

big problem with your setup

Guys, as an owner of 250GB version of Samsung 840 EVO, I did quite thorough research of my drive on the web before I bought it and the result is that is is one of the fastest SSD on the marked. This is clearly visible from numerous benchmarks all over the web, so I am afraid there is some serious problem with your tests. Are your filesystems alligned? Is 6Gb SATA really working? Do you have AHCI enabled and working? Do you have latest FW in all drives? there is no way that Samsung 840 EVO is so much slower than OCZ Vertex 3, actualy it is usually faster, sometimes significantly:

SSD 2013 benchmarks: Compare two products side-by-side or see a cascading list of product ratings along with our annotations.

and most importantly:

please, check what is wrong with your setup, fix it and rerun the test, this is really shame on your side!

Comment

A 100% full partition that occupies 80% of the SSD space should be about the same for the SSD itself as an 80% full partition that occupies 100% of the SSD capacity (if the file-system has TRIM support). However, the file-system itself would greatly benefit from those extra 20% free space. So better just format it fully then make sure you never go above 80% capacity. This stands true even for partitions on rotating disks, after 80% performance of any file-system starts to rapidly decrease.

Comment

Working...
                    X