Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ome: A New Cross-Platform Desktop Environment

Phoronix: Ome: A New Cross-Platform Desktop Environment

There's yet another new desktop in the Linux land. Ome is short for the Open Minded Environment and is a cross-platform desktop environment built around web technologies...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Web-based, Java based or JS based stuff has no chances to replace the desktop, many tried no one succeeded. It sucks. Suitable only for certain scenarios.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Web-based, Java based or JS based stuff has no chances to replace the desktop, many tried no one succeeded. It sucks. Suitable only for certain scenarios.
      Neither Java nor Javascript (which have nothing to do with each other to do except the name) sucks.
      Also Asm.JS provides a whole lot of new possibilities.

I think this might be an interesting project.

Comment

This is an idea I've always been rather fascinated with, especially with how easy it is to get a fluid and interactive UI with HTML/CSS nowadays. 2-3 years back there was no way having the entire desktop just be a Gecko context would have been a viable option for a desktop environment, but with the strides of ASM.js now, and how this person targets that as the base for applications in the environment, I can actually see this being potentially responsive and a decent alternative to having an environment built in Qt/QML. Mozilla's JS engine is pretty dang capable, I want to see more things use it.

At the same time, personally, I hate the problems of having to mix HTML/CSS/JS and some server side language usually just to make a simple webpage. Web apps are always a hogepoge of crap thrown together with the end result almost never being readable. I don't know if I'd want a desktop application built like that, and I fear allowing it may start poluting the desktop with even more crudfully designed applications, even if it would open up the opportunity to have more people developing.

Comment

Chromium om my arch system is 71MB. Tinycoreplus is about the same size.

We should have seen this coming. In a few years, we'll be installing ad-blocker: the desktop version.

Comment

Sure, it's not a catch all. But it can certainly be successful. Three out of the five best selling laptops in Amazon run exactly that: a web-based, browser-based operating system (chrome), as of this writing [ http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-C...zgbs/pc/565108 ]. And that includes the top two:
            1. Acer C720 Chromebook (11.6-Inch, Haswell)
            2. Samsung Chromebook (Wi-Fi, 11.6-Inch)
            3. ASUS Transformer Book T100TA-C1-GR 10.
            4. HP Chromebook 11 (White/Blue)
            5. Asus X200CA-HCL1104G 11.6 inch Touch

Comment

What a pitty. It doesn't exist yet, it's just an idea?

CROSS PLATFORM and (i assume) highly CUSTOMIZABLE (mydesktop.css) Desktop Environment.

Simply sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                Neither Java nor Javascript sucks.
                Also Asm.JS provides a whole lot of new possibilities.

I think this might be an interesting project.
                No, the web/js/java suck as desktop replacements. And don't tell me js/java are different things I'm myself telling this to people for the last 13 years.
                Asm.js sucks too, it's not meant to be used by programmers, rather by tools, it's not a cure to the JavaScript problem, it's a painkiller.

Comment

...it's not a cure to the JavaScript problem...
                  What JavaScript problem?

Comment

At least they could have picked a better code hosting site than Google Code.

Comment

Working...
                    X