Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Gets An OpenGL Rendering Back-End

Phoronix: LibreOffice Gets An OpenGL Rendering Back-End

The initial work on an OpenGL rendering back-end has landed in LibreOffice, not too long after receiving OpenCL support for spreadsheets and OpenGL canvas support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this will help porting to wayland.

Comment

Pretty sure they're not using the Core profile, so what are they using? GL 1.4? GL 2.1?

Comment

Pretty sure they would need 2.1

Comment

Wow, so much stoopid.

Libreoffice does NOT need OpenGL to gain user share. OpenGL will do *absolutely nothing* in that regard, since word processing and spreadsheets work quite perfectly without ANY acceleration, and have since the beginning of time.

To gain user share, Libreoffice needs to GET OFF THEIR COLLECTIVE ASSES AND SUPPORT ANDROID!!!!! This *should* be priority NUMBER ONE, since Android is THE leading OS now.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Wow, so much stoopid.

Libreoffice does NOT need OpenGL to gain user share. OpenGL will do *absolutely nothing* in that regard, since word processing and spreadsheets work quite perfectly without ANY acceleration, and have since the beginning of time.

To gain user share, Libreoffice needs to GET OFF THEIR COLLECTIVE ASSES AND SUPPORT ANDROID!!!!! This *should* be priority NUMBER ONE, since Android is THE leading OS now.
            I don't really see the use, aside from displaying things (and web based probably does good enough for that), of office suites on tablets or smartphones. I wouldn't use those without a real mouse and keyboard.

Comment

Wow, so much stoopid.

Droid, work on your spelling and stop 'yelling.'

1) ANY effective hardware accel is a good thing, its less things that the CPU has to do and less things blocking other tasks on the CPU.

2) Android support is in the works, see: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/...ice_on_Android
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I don't really see the use, aside from displaying things (and web based probably does good enough for that), of office suites on tablets or smartphones. I wouldn't use those without a real mouse and keyboard.
                You can use bluetooth mice and keyboards with Android just fine. It is like having a touchscreen all in one desktop but no mouse or keyboard, yeah, your usability is limited, but you can attach input devices.

Comment

Wow, so much stoopid.

It seems to me that there are two main obstacles that prevent people from using LibreOffice instead of MSOffice: either the learning curve is too steep and people don't bother, or LO simply can't do things that MSO does. If these two main hurdles are overcome, the user base should certainly increase substantially.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    You can use bluetooth mice and keyboards with Android just fine. It is like having a touchscreen all in one desktop but no mouse or keyboard, yeah, your usability is limited, but you can attach input devices.
                    Very well, but still, I wouldn't carry with myself a separate mouse and keyboard. If it will still be a portability (as in moving things) annoyance, I'd rather stay with a real laptop, for example. But I admit it becomes at least arguable with bluetooth mice and keyboards, someone probably likes it.

Comment

Working...
                    X