Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Performance Expectations For Wine Direct3D

Phoronix: Setting Performance Expectations For Wine Direct3D

For those that haven't dabbled with upstream Wine lately and aren't sure of what's realistic performance expectations for Wine when dealing with its Direct3D layer for Linux OpenGL graphics drivers, here's some fresh comments from a CodeWeavers employee who deals with Wine's graphics stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Of course, you could also try Catalyst with Wine but to many users on different hardware and driver versions that is a very buggy experience
    '

Wine was founded by Nvidia employee, what you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by storm_st View Post
      '

Do you have a source? I think it?s just because Catalyst is buggy in general.

Comment

Wine with CSMT patch is very good for games, I recently completed a rather new game that (almost) worked flawlessly(Batman: Arkham Origins). The performance was actually really good. Overall, I'm happy with Wine.

Comment

Wine performance changes depend title, some run with similar performance to windows and another run very slow and this situation can appears on same title on different gameplay mode

For example Asssins Creed Brotherhood

On single player, game runs good on low details

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

But on multiplayer runs very slow on same lower details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2GBz0F5Vnk

But most DX9 titles runs without problems with some especific exceptions: games with GFWL, some games with drm invasive and another issues as saint row the third (this tile dont run because need d3d caps, actually have patch but this is not completly solve problem) or sonic and sega all racing transformed (this game have problems with loading checking files)

And on mayor cases: shadows (this include smooth shadows and occlusion), light postprocessing effects, particle effects give troubles with many games, if you disable this functions many game runs without problems and another games need vsync

MPEG video sequences dont have supported, on some titles is needed rename movie folder for prevent game crashes (this include bloodrayne 1-2, resident evil 4 and anothers)

On my channel have many test for another pc titles

En este canal encontraran principalmente: *Resultados de juegos de windows probados en el wine Generalmente en todas las listas de reproduccion hay videos distintos y si se llegasen a presentar videos repetidos puede ser por que hubo un cambio en el hardware de pruebas o por algun cambio importante en el wine que afecte algun titulo en especifico Para mas informacion pueden consultar mi blog http://gamesonwine.blogspot.com O en el foro de CHW http://www.chw.net/foro/gnu-linux-y-otros-sistemas-operativos/247392-juegos-windows-probados-wine.htm *Algunos videos de assasins creed brotherhood y revelaciones en multiplayer sobre windows

Back to drivers, nvidia privative driver gives performance and compatiblility, amd catalyst gives performance but loss compatibility and amd opensource gives compatibility but loss performance

Last edited by pinguinpc; 04 February 2014, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by storm_st View Post
            '

Then how does that explain the errors I received not too long ago, where Wine recommended that I use the Nouveau Driver instead of the Nvidia?

Comment

They could use a D3D gallium state tracker and reach performance that is about the same as Windows...

Comment

Interesting information, although it doesn't surprise me that the NVIDIA proprietary driver comes out on top. Last time I tried Starcraft 2 under WINE it ran flawlessly, I was actually surprised there were no glitches. Would be nice to see some benchmarks comparing WINE performance with native Windows. Slowly, but surely more and more games are working under Linux.

Comment

Pinguinpc, can DarkSouls work fine in Wine? I can't get the game to even start.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                    Pinguinpc, can DarkSouls work fine in Wine? I can't get the game to even start.
                    Take a look at appdb:
                    Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.

To start the game You will need to remove a deffect that was introduced into DS desing:
                    Open Source Software for running Windows applications on other operating systems.
                    RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Working...
                    X