Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clang's Competition For GCC On Intel Haswell

Phoronix: Clang's Competition For GCC On Intel Haswell

After a few days ago showing LLVM Clang 3.4 running very well on AMD's Kaveri APU, here are some benchmarks of GCC 4.8.2, the latest GCC 4.9 development snapshot, and LLVM Clang 3.4 from an Intel Core i5 "Haswell" system running Ubuntu 14.04 with the Linux 3.13 kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice!

I'm very glad to see LLVM developing in the right direction.
    For me, it's not about destroying the competition (--> gcc), but making more and more projects compiler-independent.
    We have lots and lots of code lying around depending on GCC-extensions. Even though they might come in handy once in a while, they break the standard.

GCC ist still my tool of choice, because I don't like LLVM+Clang for other reasons.

<s>It might be that GCC lost performance the moment they switched their codebase to C++</s>

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      I'm very glad to see LLVM developing in the right direction.
      For me, it's not about destroying the competition (--> gcc), but making more and more projects compiler-independent.
      We have lots and lots of code lying around depending on GCC-extensions. Even though they might come in handy once in a while, they break the standard.

GCC ist still my tool of choice, because I don't like LLVM+Clang for other reasons.

<s>It might be that GCC lost performance the moment they switched their codebase to C++</s>
      Clang is also written in C++.

Comment

Originally posted by the303 View Post
        Clang is also written in C++.
        Yep, that's right, but mind two things:
        1. <s>-tags
        2. There's a difference between writing an application in C++ from the ground up and switching over from C to C++. I favor C, given a transformation to OOP is almost guaranteed to break old axioms

Comment

And now please proof that it really is GCC that got slower, and not llvm/clang that got faster. Beacause IMHO it is the second one that happened.

Comment

Confirmation needed.

Can someone independently repeat and confirm these measurements?

Comment

Impressive... If Clang had openmp support it would be faster overall...

Comment

Test in favor of LLVM
                LLVM Clang still easily surpasses GCC in speedy compile times.
                Test in favor of GCC
                LLVM Clang still has some optimization work to do
                Last edited by raineee; 06 February 2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by raineee View Post
                  Test in favor of LLVM

Test in favor of GCC
                  I thought I was the only one who noticed.

Comment

its performance was tuned by GCC developers over the last few compiler versions.
                    Does that mean that the GCC devs tuned the performance for certain benchmarks to get better results than what would normally come out of the compiler...?

Comment

Working...
                    X